Notices

99 TL valve clatter/chatter

Old 02-19-2008, 04:59 AM
ker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 TL valve clatter/chatter

99 TL w 92k miles on it. Only regular gas has ever been used in it. I've heard different things on that but nothing conclusive. I have valve chatter/clatter when warm & under load - like climbing a hill. It's definitely not purge solenoid that I've read about in these forums. Do these engines need valve adjustments? If so, what kind of price range have you seen for that? I'm also due for my timing belt/water pump svc - don't know if that would get a pkg discounted price. Thanks for any insights.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

First of all, do you hear ticking noise? That is probably a better indication if your valves need adjustments. If you only hear the noise when your car is under load like climbing a hill, then I think what you are hearing might be detonation. If you are running regular octane and not the higher octane, your car will retard the timing when detonation is detected. Why don't you try run a few tank of premium gas and see if it goes away.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:07 AM
ker

Thanks for the response. No it's not a ticking - I know that sound as well from other cars. So, I think you're saying that the car is designed to adjust for regular octane by adjusting the timing but the result will be what you're calling detonation - like early detonation? I assume there will be a slight loss in power & the annoying sounds but no real danger/damage to engine? And if I want to eliminate it, I need to run premium? Does anyone know of any fuel additives that claim to compensate for the lower octane? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Instead of buying fuel additive, just pay the 20 cents more per gallon and get the higher octane gas. Yes, you do lose power when it retards the timing. And if you let detonation happens too often, it might damage your engine. Lets put it this way, you are only saving $3 or so if you fill it up 15 gallons when you buy regular instead of premium, is it worth it?
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 AM
ker

I'll try several tanks of premium & report back for the benefit of others.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 AM
ker

Ok, I've tried 2 tanks of premium & the chatter/early detonation seems to have gone away so I'll bite the bullet & buy premium from now on. I might try the mid-grade to see how it does as well. Thanks.