Notices

97 cl subs

Old 05-26-2005, 07:48 PM
arstraub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 cl subs

I want to put subs in my car, but i don't want it to sound dumb. I want alpine type r's which have like 1500 watts. Now the questions: Should i get 1 or 2 subs? Would to be too much power and make my car sound stupid, or would it be okay? ANYTHING would be helpful! Thanks guys!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:13 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

It really depends on what you are after. Are you after sound quality or just "thump" "thump" so others can hear you driving down the street? Also, what is your setup? Everything stock? What kind of amplifier do you have? What kind of box do you want to build? Sealed? Ported? Bandpass? How much room do you want to take up? What size speakers do you want?
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 05-27-2005, 05:46 AM
arstraub

Speakers are stock, new pioneer cd player, im going to buy a box, which is ported, and I want 10's so they won't take up too much room. The amp this guy's trying to sell me is an xtreme 800 watt I do believe; needless to say, I don't know much about amps.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:04 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

First, make sure the box you are going to get will work with the Alpine subs. You should get the spec sheet for the subs and see if they will work in a ported sub box. Is that the brand of the amp? Xtreme? Or is it Orion Xtreme? I would not skimp on getting a decent amp.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:40 AM
arstraub

See that's my problem, I don't know anything about amps. Xtreme is a subset brand of somebody's haha...it's not orion though, i looked that up. The guy that i've been talking to about speakers and mess says that it'll work just fine, it's like $230 of so i think; i'll see what else i can figure out about it...thanks hun!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:07 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Lets put it this way. You are better off buying a higher end amp. that is rated at 200 watts than a cheap amp that is rated at 800 watts.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:24 PM
arstraub

Hence why I'm gettin' Alpines...but ya didn't get a chance to talk to my car guy about the brand yet...maybe tomorrow, well today, whatever
Old 05-27-2005, 09:42 PM
arstraub

Can you give me some of the better brands and some to stay away from? That'd be GREAT!
Old 05-28-2005, 08:13 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

There are too many brands out there. Just go to a decent car auto store and they should have a pretty good selection. You can never go wrong with Orion or Phoenix Gold, just to name a couple.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:45 AM
cav4life
1999 CL owner

I am using in my car, 2- 12W3's on an alpine 1200 watt amp i am upgrading to a W7 soon. mine sound great in and out of my car and yes you can hear me a long ways away and thats what i like.