Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

how exactly do you power a tv in your car?

Old 09-07-2003, 07:51 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how exactly do you power a tv in your car?

what is the power input like? can you just split it off the power wire i have running for my amps?

im thinkin about getting some visor mounted ones, but i have no idea how to power them

thanks
Old 09-07-2003, 12:59 PM
aero3685

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just power them like you would power anything else. Wire them off your fusebox or battery, and put the right size fuse inline to them.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:40 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

if its an AC powered tv..you NEED a power inverter...they arent cheap...but well worth it. It converts your 12dc into a 110v ac outlet like u fnd in your house.

Dave
Old 09-17-2003, 10:27 AM
toyman99

That is if you are talking about HOUSE TVs. That is true, you need a AC to DC power inverter. -- and they are not that expensive. Basically, I would buy a monitor that works in a car and a dvd that works in a car, pure DC 12 volts and it will make installation a lot easier. Just wire it to your cigarette lighter wires.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:14 AM
yldstyleviet

there are two power wires for a LCD screen. One is positive, one is negative. On the back of my DVD player, there is a 12V positive out that I should connect the LCD positive to. However, there is something worng with the voltage so the LCD powers up but no picture. What I did was hook my LCD positive to the battery, and the RCA cable going to the back of the LCD provides the ground. It works. The LCD powers on/off when I hit on/off on the DVD player. And the DVD player has positive, ground, and accessory just like a cd player but it will not turn on when you put in key, only with the key in and you turn it on with remote. Happy shopping and look at some Farenheit/Power Acoustik screens
Old 09-22-2003, 10:08 AM
illusion

one of my TV's had a sticker saying NOTHING over 12v, so I put a switching boost regulator on it's power lead so that it never gets above 12, another bonus is if the battery drops below 12, the regulator can keep the TV on, it can keep it on all the way down to 1.5V, not really needed but a cute feature. You could also use a buck regulator and set it for 10v output(most of the TV's will still work here) and as long as your battery stays above 11v your tv will stay on, much easier design than using a floating node boost regulator like I did.

yeah I'm a nerd, so what :fawk: