Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Port length on sub enclusure

Old 08-25-2003, 08:24 AM
afrodeziak2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port length on sub enclusure

I got a sub enclosure from a friend that works at best buy, its a band[pass box. It came with a chart where you use some stats from the speaker to tune the port length, but it says that the ports should be 37 inches for my alpine type r.

There are 4 ports total on the box and 2 enclosures for 2 subs, the chart doesnt really specify wheter each port should be 37 inches each sub should have 37 inches of port or if its a total for all four. Right now each port is only about 6 inches, how could I lengthen it?

By the way, polyfill is supposed to make the box seem bigger would that help? and where would I get some from?

Thanks for any help
Old 08-25-2003, 09:46 PM
strychnine
i am legend

im not a pro so i may look like an ass here. if the ports now are 6 inches long and say 3 inches across, wouldnt that be a total of 18 inches per port? so youd be sitting about right, im curious to know.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:19 AM
afrodeziak2k

that might be right if they meant volume instead of length, but i still don't know. all i know is that the subs don't sound like they can play all bass frequencies loud. It sounds like one song will have loud bass and another won't have hardly any. I think the lower frequencies are left out