Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

your opinions on this sub and enclosure?

Old 08-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your opinions on this sub and enclosure?

hi i was wondering on what you audio experts or finatics think of this sub and enclosure? what would be a good offer? bear in mind i know nothing about audio at all...

oh yeah i already have an aftermarket hu alpine cda-7995

link is here: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=587122
Old 08-13-2003, 05:33 AM
Josher

If you've got more room, I'd suggest getting two 12's.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:48 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

jl makes decent subwoofers, but what are your plans? getting 2 12's wouldn't necessarily equate to better bass.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:50 AM
Josher

No, but they help reproduce lower frequencies better.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:16 AM
jhargrove

Larger diameter speakers do not always mean lower frequency response. A great deal of that depends on how well the box size and design is matched to the specs of the woofer. I've had a JL Audio 10W3 in a box custom built per JL's suggestions and it yielded much better frequency response as well as being extremely hard hitting than some other 12's and 15's in a 'standard fit' box that, again, was not designed for that subwoofer to begin with.

Soldier [X], what sort of power will you be running to your subs. That is an important consideration as well.

I've been a fan of, and have used 10 inch subs since 1988 and really love the mix of compactness and performance. Sure, you won't break any SPL records with one 10, but then again, hopefully everyone is not still "about" going deaf at 25 years of age

Don't get me wrong, with just one 10" sub and 100 watts or more power (depending on the subs requirements), you can have very hard hitting and low end bass in your car, be it a Civic or SUV; AND you don't have to sacrafice your trunk space.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:44 AM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

i'm not looking to build a great high class system just one which i'll be comfortable daily driving and which would give me some good sound quality...i'm not asking for something that'll knock me outta my seat hard just something that'll give me some bass when there is bass from the music
Old 08-13-2003, 02:44 PM
jhargrove

Then a 10" sub will be more than adequate, my friend!

As far as that 10W0 ad that you linked to, if you put 75-150 watts to that thing, you would be pretty happy.

Here is the link to JL Audio spec sheet:
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pd...2_15W0_MAN.pdf

On thing that the ad didn't mention is the size of the box. You may want to check on that!
Old 08-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

how much do u think i should offer for the 1 10?
Old 08-15-2003, 11:20 AM
jhargrove

You can by the 10w0 sub for $99 anytime brand new. Considering his is used (and you can press in on the cone a few times to see if the sub moves VERY freely or not; if so, its probably been played ALOT), I would offer him $50 for the sub and box. Don't let him pull the old "this is a custom box that cost $$$$ to build; remember, it is custom to HIM, not to you. You might even act as though you don't think the box will work in your car to see if he will accept the $50.

Otherwise, I'd pass......
Old 08-15-2003, 11:39 AM
kd5dbl

I can attest to how nice a 10" sub can sound. I had a sealed 3 cubic foot box with two RF Punch 10's being modestly driven at 75 watts each. Plenty of bass, would bottom out nice a low... was a bit overkill for my application (kept mistracking the CD player). A single 10" in a well built box should work well.

As for the price... he never says what brand the 10's are (it does matter). Find out what they are first... you never know, they could be one of those "subwoofers" at the RV shows that sell for $10 new.