Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Home Stereo system in my Car

Old 07-11-2002, 07:09 PM
LudeRage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Stereo system in my Car

I know it sounds really dumb but I was wondering if it would be possible to hook up my stereo system(from my room) in my car. It is a JVC, with a main deck (with 3 cd changer, radio, dials, and hook ups for the speakers in back), and two speaker/tweeter/sub boxes. It all of course plugs into a wall socket, because it is a home system. The speaker boxes just plug into the back of the main deck in the back with little wires. Is it possible to run the entire system including stereo cd player in my car, while also playing through the car's speakers? I seem to think it would be hard or impossible to use the main deck of the stereo (with its radio and cd player) in the car while also playing through the car speakers. If it's not impossible, please tell me how to do it if you can. If it's not, could you tell me how to just use the speaker/sub boxes in the car.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2002, 07:32 PM
b00gers

possible...yes. practical...no.

you can get a ac/dc inverter for you car.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:34 PM
LudeRage

Yeah I know now how to just hook up the speakers to the car's speakers by splicing the wires..maybe I'll just do that for some free yet added sound quality and bass.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:01 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

understand some home theater speaker run at differen resistances than car audio speakers.
i've always noticed home speakers to be about 8 ohms, and stock car speakers are 4 ohms. you will notice half the normall out put (not techincally) also if the home speakers are even lower resistances like 2 ohm, u may damage the source unit or amps or whatever is driving the speaker.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:03 AM
b00gers

Originally posted by igo4bmx
understand some home theater speaker run at differen resistances than car audio speakers.
i've always noticed home speakers to be about 8 ohms, and stock car speakers are 4 ohms. you will notice half the normall out put (not techincally) also if the home speakers are even lower resistances like 2 ohm, u may damage the source unit or amps or whatever is driving the speaker.
very good point.:thumbup:
Old 07-12-2002, 07:05 AM
LudeRage

Than should I buy an amp and hook the speakers up to it? Than I'd add a sub or two just cuz I have the amp. I doubt the speakers would harm the amp.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:07 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

i would buy an amp before thinking about changing anythign else.
i notied in my stock 6th gen adding a nice source unit and amp satisfied my hunger for power and actually helped me stock speakers perform better.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:17 AM
LudeRage

Yeah..I'm gonna forget about tearing apart my stereo system. I'm thinkin about just getting an amp and a couple of subs. Thanks for your help.