Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

looking for the best 4-channel amp under $200

Old 07-26-2003, 01:12 PM
ClayMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for the best 4-channel amp under $200

I don't mind getting it a little used, like a good condition one off ebay. Looking for a clean 60-75W RMS x4... They're definitely gonna power my fronts, which are composed of these tweeters:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...&productId=593

and some really old Altec Lansing ALS5 5" 2-ways.

I don't suppose that any 4-channel amp would be powerful enough to able push 2x 400W RMS 4ohm subs off a bridged rear channel, would they?? if there are any out there.. that'll save me the money from buying a separate amp for the sub.. but otherwise i'll use the other 2 channels for the rears..

what type of brands should i search for in this price range? specific models would be nice too. thanks!
Old 07-27-2003, 12:53 PM
LjN_728

Default Re: looking for the best 4-channel amp under $200

Originally posted by ClayMan
I don't suppose that any 4-channel amp would be powerful enough to able push 2x 400W RMS 4ohm subs off a bridged rear channel, would they??

Ha! Ha! HA!! Don't u wish they made such a thing. Closet thing u could do is get a 5 channel amp, but i doubt it cuz it's bank! Why push the fronts alone? You should be doing all 4 internal spkrs. Trust me...it's a lot better hearing the highs all over ur ryde. So either invest in a nice 5 channel amp, or go for a so so 2 channel amp for the fronts and either a 2 or mono channel amp for the subs. Good luck! btw...JL audio's 5 channel amps are pretty sweet!
Old 07-27-2003, 01:16 PM
ClayMan

yeah i'm pretty much set on having an amp just for teh subs. how does US acoustics compare to say, kenwood? the 4085 is pretty cheap.. 4 channels @ 85W, and they claim 0.03% THD and 95dB signal/noise. and it's only like $150 brand new. too good to be true? what's the catch?
Old 07-27-2003, 07:49 PM
JimmysZ32

Default Re: Re: looking for the best 4-channel amp under $200

Originally posted by LjN_728
Ha! Ha! HA!! Don't u wish they made such a thing. Closet thing u could do is get a 5 channel amp, but i doubt it cuz it's bank! Why push the fronts alone? You should be doing all 4 internal spkrs. Trust me...it's a lot better hearing the highs all over ur ryde. So either invest in a nice 5 channel amp, or go for a so so 2 channel amp for the fronts and either a 2 or mono channel amp for the subs. Good luck! btw...JL audio's 5 channel amps are pretty sweet!
What Type of Car do you speak of ljn? In a car like my teg, or a small sports coupe, having a set of components in the front and having no rear fill is optimal, imho. I like the way the imaging is set up that way. a Set of nice components and 110 wrms flowing to each side is enough to fill up that car

If we're talking a sedan here, then yep, get all 4 speakers.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:37 PM
4thgen91EFhatch

what about in a hatchback?...just components up front?
Old 07-28-2003, 04:01 PM
JimmysZ32

Im using hatch/coupe in the same sense here.

I prefer to have just components up front. Like i said, if you've got some great components and have some high wrms wattage going to em, you'll never notice lack of rear fill

You may have some angry backseat passengers (because their imaging from back there will suck) but who cares, as long as it sounds good from the drivers seat.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:37 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

you want a freaking nice 4 channel amp?
Nakamichi PA-504
50 watts rms (underrated) x 4
email ZEDAUDIO@aol.com
he has them for 160 plus shipping.