Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

more alarm advice

Old 07-09-2002, 10:33 PM
93acuraviga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more alarm advice

I'm lookin for a good alarm with keyless entry and maybe remote start that's not too pricey. I'm not too familiar with alarms as i am stereos so what would you guys suggest? i hear cliffords are good and maybe vipers but is there a certain model that anyone reccomends? also, cant you just buy the brain and basic alarm and add onto it like remote start etc later? thanks-
Old 07-10-2002, 06:53 AM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Clifford and Viper are both ver good brands. However, an alarm is only as good as the installation, so try and find a reputable place that's been doing alarm installs for a while. Where do your friends get their alarms at??? Also, I've found that adding something like remote start later on is more expensive than doing it all at once. It's easier for an installer to do everything at once...
Old 07-10-2002, 04:33 PM
b00gers

clifford and viper are basically the same thing now....DEI.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:30 PM
steveng

Im getting new Alpine Sec-100 alarm system with all the features
Old 07-24-2002, 11:00 PM
arch iceman

Originally posted by WiLL
clifford and viper are basically the same thing now....DEI.
Depends on the models. DEI bought out Clifford at least a year ago and is now introducing new lines of products under Clifford. However the Intelleguard, Concept, Solaris, Avantguard and some of the established Clifford models are still the original Clifford technology and design.

I wouldnt discredit Clifford yet, theyre managing the DEI acquistion pretty well.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:42 PM
OneToughCivic

i have a clifford matrix 3 in my civic. it's a pretty highly rated alarm and is cheap - check into that one
Old 07-25-2002, 03:35 AM
Dunbar

Matrix is the same as Viper (and Python, Sidewinder etc.) just so you know. The Viper 550ESP is a good alarm and remote starter (this alarm is sold under several DEI brands.) The Clifford Solaris is also nice but a little more money. Installation is everything. Be prepared to spend $500 with good installation (get a battery backup and have everything installed well!) If it were my car I'd go with the Solaris just because the dual point immobilization is much better than DEI's.