Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Which would you choose?

Old 07-08-2002, 08:53 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which would you choose?

Which one of these would be better to push a set of Polk Audio EX II 6 1/2" components,

The choices are,

Ample Audio A410
A 410X
¡¡ - Bridgeable 4 Channel Amplifier
- 52 W RMS x 4 (4 ohm)
- 70 W RMS x 4 (2 ohm)
- 150 W RMS x 2 (4ohms) Bridged
- 100 W x 4 MAX
- Variable Crossover (50-250Hz) Selectable High or Low Pass
- MOSFET Power Supply
- THD 0.04%
- 4 RCA Inputs
- 4 High Level Inputs
- 2 ohms Stable
- S/N 90dB
- 11" L x 2.2" H x 10" W
- Freq Response 10-35,000 Hz

And JBL Power P80.4
Specifications MSRP US$: $279.95
Output 4 Ohms: 40W x 4
Output 2 Ohms: 80W x 4
Output 4 Ohms Bridged: 160W x 2
Signal-to-Noise (dBA): >110
Frequency Response (±3dB): 10Hz - 50kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.05%
Input Sensitivity: 250mV - 4V

Keep in mind I already have a JBL PowerValve Monoblock BP300.1 amp pushing my subs, if that matters at all.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:31 PM
b00gers

that JBL would be nice, since you have that 300.1...

and ive never heard of Ample.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:48 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by WiLL
that JBL would be nice, since you have that 300.1...

and ive never heard of Ample.
Never heard of Ample Audio Wow, they have been around for a while now, at least a few years. Anyways, I stumbled on them at a local shop. I walked in looking for some subs and heard some speakers on display sounding sweet as hell so I checked it out. It was a Power Acoustic 6 1/2" comp set being pushed by the A410X and it sounded so sweet I couldn't believe it. Power Acoustic speakers sounding like that And my uncle has a Benz 190E with MB Quart comp sets w/ Ample Audio amps pushing them, nice. I think the JBL would look nice next to the 300.1 on my amp rack, but not sure it could outperform the Ample. Does anyone have a JBL Power series 4ch amp running mids/highs? How does it perform? What do and don't you like about it?
Old 07-09-2002, 07:47 AM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

I've heard of Ample but have yet to actually hear them. Since you already have a JBL, why not just streamline and get another JBL amp....
Old 07-09-2002, 07:55 AM
JLAudioFan
I got the SI fever!

How's that JBL amp sound? I've heard some pretty bad things about them (i bought a JBL center speaker for my surround sound at home, and it sounded like ass, so i returned it) and I know someone who works in the speaker industry... He told me once upon a time, JBL made badass stuff, and then they cashed in on thier own name and started selling crapola.

If you want a badarse sub amp, go to www.audio-warehouse.com and check out the 2400 watt lanzar amp (for 250 bucks)... I've got the 1200 watt version of that amp pushing my 3 JL 12W6's, and that amp's never shut down or blown a fuse. THe other day, one of the subs pulled out the screws holding it in the box... and if the subs hit any harder, i'd prolly be minus a rear windshield.

bah, im rambling...

BTW... the ample has better THD and signal to noise, and since they're going to be running mids/highs, that's really important... and the frequency response is great (10-35k). I'd prolly go with the ample (the JBL does have a better freq. response, but since humans cant hear over 20k anyways.... doesnt really matter)...

Hope my ramblings provide some help for ya.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:07 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by SiClone
I've heard of Ample but have yet to actually hear them. Since you already have a JBL, why not just streamline and get another JBL amp....
That's what I was thinking, but I haven't had any experience with their 4ch amps and I don't want to get an amp simply because it would match or look nice with my existing setup. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these amps to see what they have to say about them. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:23 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by JLAudioFan
How's that JBL amp sound? I've heard some pretty bad things about them (i bought a JBL center speaker for my surround sound at home, and it sounded like ass, so i returned it) and I know someone who works in the speaker industry... He told me once upon a time, JBL made badass stuff, and then they cashed in on thier own name and started selling crapola.

If you want a badarse sub amp, go to www.audio-warehouse.com and check out the 2400 watt lanzar amp (for 250 bucks)... I've got the 1200 watt version of that amp pushing my 3 JL 12W6's, and that amp's never shut down or blown a fuse. THe other day, one of the subs pulled out the screws holding it in the box... and if the subs hit any harder, i'd prolly be minus a rear windshield.

bah, im rambling...

BTW... the ample has better THD and signal to noise, and since they're going to be running mids/highs, that's really important... and the frequency response is great (10-35k). I'd prolly go with the ample (the JBL does have a better freq. response, but since humans cant hear over 20k anyways.... doesnt really matter)...

Hope my ramblings provide some help for ya.
To be honest, it sounds real good. I was kinda skeptical about getting it, JBL isn't exactly upper echelon(sp?) stuff. I have been suprised before though, when I first got my "SaucyCivic" I was running 2 Fosgate Power Punch 10's w/ a Power Acoustic amp and it f*cking rocked hard. Anyways, I do have a problem with it though. I am running 2 Vega HED DVC 4 ohm subs, the coils are wired in parallel as are the subs themselves. The amp has 2 sets of rca inputs, I only have 1 set of sub preouts on my deck of course so I got a couple "y" adaptors to alleviate that problem. I had to do that because when only the 1 was hooked up, the left sub played while the right one didn't. The problem is this, I have the gain up to about a 3rd of the way, if even that, if I put it higher and turn up the bass, which stays at -7 or whatever the lowest setting on the deck is, and crank the volume, the amp clips. It sucks because the subs can take it, they sound good still, but it seems the amp can't handle it for too long. Maybe im underpowering the subs and forcing the amp to work too hard? What do you think?
Old 07-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Is there anything limiting your choice of amps to these two? If not there are probably a few other amps out there in the same price range that would be "cleaner"
Old 07-10-2002, 05:36 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by Cashis EG8
Is there anything limiting your choice of amps to these two? If not there are probably a few other amps out there in the same price range that would be "cleaner"
No not really, these two came to mind because a.) I already have a JBL amp for my subs like the one above, but it's the BP300.1 model, and b.)I heard the Ample Audio amp pushing a set of Power Acoustic 6 1/2's and they sounded sweet. What is in the same price range that you would recommend?
Old 07-10-2002, 06:34 PM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Probably one of the Alpine V12 two or four channel amps. If you look around you can find them for $200-250.

Quick Reply: Which would you choose?