Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

couple of audio questions.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:59 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default couple of audio questions.

i have a couple of questions. my friend just bought a new system (2 10" kicker comps 8ohms, volfenhag 500watt amp) and i hooked it up in my car (because he doesn't want it in his truck (94 ford explorer) yet) and there's more bass to it than what i have (2 10" pioneer subs with a koiiler 600watt amp) and i'm just curious as to why. is it just that the kickers are better? also, i bridged his but not mine (the guy he bought from told me to bridge it). and if bridging is the difference, why is that? what does bridging actually do?

also, is a crossover what i would need to get rid of the distortion of my regular speakers? everytime heavy bass hits, i get mad distortion in my 4 regular speakers, but once the bass is gone, they're fine. that'd be what a crossover fixes, right? (and how does that work anyway?)

thanks. :goodjob:
Old 06-16-2003, 07:07 PM
BrownGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by flipped cracker
also, is a crossover what i would need to get rid of the distortion of my regular speakers? everytime heavy bass hits, i get mad distortion in my 4 regular speakers, but once the bass is gone, they're fine. that'd be what a crossover fixes, right? (and how does that work anyway?)
A crossover basically sends the proper frequencies to the proper speakers (if I'm not mistaken... )... so it doesn't seem like you need a crossover. It sounds like the RMS power that's being sent from your amp to your speakers is more than the speakers can handle. Check the specs of your speaker and your amp to see if that's the case.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:28 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

well, the distortion is in the regular speakers, which don't have an amp hooked to them.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:00 PM
BrownGuy

Originally posted by flipped cracker
well, the distortion is in the regular speakers, which don't have an amp hooked to them.
Oh... the interior speakers aren't amped... hmmm... maybe the speakers are blown? :dunno:
Old 06-16-2003, 10:05 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Originally posted by ImportCarTuner
Oh... the interior speakers aren't amped... hmmm... maybe the speakers are blown? :dunno:
well, they work fine if say...i take the subs and amp out of the system, or when there's no serious bass in the song.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:34 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Seems like perhaps the sound pressure from the subwoofer is causing the 4 interior paper coned speakers to distort a little.. it seems a little far fetched but it could happen. Turn the bass down and see if the distortion goes away
Old 06-17-2003, 09:20 AM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Originally posted by moofoo
Seems like perhaps the sound pressure from the subwoofer is causing the 4 interior paper coned speakers to distort a little.. it seems a little far fetched but it could happen. Turn the bass down and see if the distortion goes away
if i turn the bass down, the distortion does go away....as long as there's no bass. it doesn't seem to me like that would be the answer.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:50 AM
b00gers

turn the bass down via the head unit.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:02 PM
97teg

I think its a combo of your deck sending out a distorted signal and also your speakers hitting thier limit. A crossover will help with this but it will be hard to implement without an amp on the highs. I would get an amp on the highs to help them keep with will all the bass and you can use its crossover to cut out some of the bass so they wont bottom out. Are you interor speakers stock?

As far as your subs its probably that the kickers may be a bit more efficient and this makes up for the power difference or it could be his am is jsut really putting out more than yours. It could also be a function of the box ie size type ect. Usallly bridging an amp that is say 150 x 2 will be 300 x 1 channel usally same total power but distributed different. Some amps will put out more bridged but a lot depends on the ohm load. Most people bridge sub amps. You should do this if your subs are in a box like a bandpass box or where the subs share the same air space.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:30 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

the interior speakers aren't stock. i'll just look into getting an amp for them. i did turn the bass down on the head unit and that helped a little. and i change some treble settings there too and that helped (but it's still there).

i'll have to look into bridging my amp. i actually stuck his subs in my box (i guess i should have mentioned that) so there's no difference in the box at all. it's a sealed box (not bandpass). i also think it has to do with the kickers being better. then just felt better (they're a little heavier and it feels like they're made better (the cone isn't made out of plastic like the pioneers)).

thanks for all the help guys. :goodjob: