Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Help?!? Replace factory tweeters/ where to go thru firewall??

Old 06-09-2003, 09:33 AM
RednasSir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help?!? Replace factory tweeters/ where to go thru firewall??

1) I have JBL GTO605c components speakers that I am looking to replace my factory speakers with. How can I change my factory tweeters (remove and what not) and then use the JBL's tweeters in their place? Don't really want to drill a new hole in my door and like the placement (no matter how unacoustically correct they are) in the upper door. Is this even possible to use the pre-existing location?

2) Where can you come thru the firewall on a 2000 Civic for amplifier wiring (4 ga.). Do I have to drill or is there a unused plug that I can come thru?

Thanks,
Old 06-09-2003, 09:48 AM
rcurley55

Default Re: Help?!? Replace factory tweeters/ where to go thru firewall??

Originally posted by RednasSir
1) I have JBL GTO605c components speakers that I am looking to replace my factory speakers with. How can I change my factory tweeters (remove and what not) and then use the JBL's tweeters in their place? Don't really want to drill a new hole in my door and like the placement (no matter how unacoustically correct they are) in the upper door. Is this even possible to use the pre-existing location?
Remove the door panel
1. Pry off the speaker grill for the midbass
2. Remove the mid bass (3 screws)
3. Remove the three screws surrounding the factory speaker opening (they are recessed in three bosses)
4. Remove the door pull/power window panel (1 screw) - beofer you do this lower the windows
5. Remove the door handle/door lock bezel (1 screw)
6. Start at the bottom of the door panel and start to pry it off. You will hear lots of pops, that's ok, there's a bunch of plastic clips around the perimeter of the door.
7. After loosening all of the clips, tilt the back end of the panel up toward the ceiling, and slowly slide the panel out from the channel
8. Remove the tweeter wiring harness at the plug
9. The tweeter + housing is held in by some clips, pull it off - gently
10. remove the tweeter with the one phillips screw.

Getting tweeters back in this location is a driver specific thing - some fit, some dont. Most all will require some type of modification.

Repeat that process in the reverse order to reassemble the door.

2) Where can you come thru the firewall on a 2000 Civic for amplifier wiring (4 ga.). Do I have to drill or is there a unused plug that I can come thru?

Thanks,
There are two places.

1. There is a spare grommet that you can poke through
2. You can use the main wiring harness grommet (the wires that connect the ECU, etc.)

I have only used on of them (the latter). IIRC, you need to remove the battery and try for both. For mine, you do have to remove the battery, then the try. Then you can pass the wire through...it takes some disassembly, and some trimming, but it's fairly easy.

Just look around for an unused grommet in that area, it's most likely easier then the method I used at one time.

Sorry for not being much help on exact instructions, but now you know where to look.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:56 AM
RednasSir

Default Thanks!

I though that I saw what looked to be some sort of plug under the passenger side dashboard. I didn't realize that the battery had to be remove to get at it. Then again, I haven't tried yet as I am trying to get everything straight before attempting.

As for the tweeter. How is the factory speaker held in? My new ones twist and lock in. I think I am in for a hell of a time with this portion of the install!

Where is a good sugestion for amp mounting? I was going to mount it on the driver's side rear passenger seat back.... that was really confusing to describe...

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:50 AM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

The stock tweeters are screwed onto the metal mounting thing.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:57 AM
RednasSir

Thanks. I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed that the new ones can be mounded similarly.