Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

2 amps with one 1 farad cap.

Old 05-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Wharbone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 amps with one 1 farad cap.

Can you hook up 2 amps to one capacitor?
Old 05-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

I'm not positive about this but i think it may be possible. Why do you need to do this?
Old 05-11-2003, 04:26 AM
Randy12vp

Yes you can.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:50 PM
acuradriva

but the closer you get the cap to the sub amp the better it will be. if you even notice a difference.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:12 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

I never understood the fascination with caps
If you really do need the use for one.. then the real solution is a higher output alt 1st and then a good cold cranking ampere battery.

And perhaps upgrading the the stock grounding system to 2 or 0 gauge.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:42 AM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Well, the fascination is this:

* 1 farad cap (helps a little with light dimming) = $60-70 (if you pay anymore, I'll send you some KY jelly )

* deep cycle battery (for extended playing with engine off) = $120-150

* new or rewound alternator (best results) = a lot more de to labor because the alternators on Civic's and Integra's are hard to get to
Old 05-15-2003, 07:53 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

aaaah I see.. just what I thought :fawk:
You forgot one more thing the "cool" factor

"y0000000000000 I got this phat @ss 1 farad cap
and my bass is poundin!!!! (when in reality he's only running 160watt RF punch160a2 to a 12 punch sub the kid lives about 2 blocks away and all I ever hear is his mouth running and impressionable younger kids looking totally brainwashed) "

ugh sad sad sad...
Old 05-19-2003, 05:02 AM
myles

they are a quick and easy fix to some major dimming problems...if you really had dimming problems i would say wire a new battery into the car, but for like $30 at walmart it's worth it for the extra power your amp gets. Atleast that's my opinion.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:35 AM
b00gers

i dont think there is anything wrong with using caps. you can show me how there are studies to how they dont do shit. i just know for a fact that for under $100, i got rid of the dimming of my dash and headlights.

and ontopic...which 2 amps do you want to hook the cap up to. if you need a cap, you need the cap hooked up to the amp that is powering the bass. everytime your lights dim, its when the sub amp is grabbing a surge of power from the car electrical system, therefore not leaving much for the rest of the car.

a cap will not solve the problem with dimming if you have a 150 or 200 amp amp on your honda. h:
Old 05-30-2003, 09:52 PM
doctorsohc
I HATE SCAMMERS!!!!

Originally posted by moofoo
I never understood the fascination with caps
If you really do need the use for one.. then the real solution is a higher output alt 1st and then a good cold cranking ampere battery.

And perhaps upgrading the the stock grounding system to 2 or 0 gauge.

HMMMMMM, someone that knows what's going on in the car stereo world - I think caps are BS because they only are a patch for too thin power wire. They DO NOT at all help with alternator output voltage stability (aka lights dimming). All a cap does is "stiffen" the powersupply to the amp (which has smaller caps built in to it already) kind of acting like a small battery, but it won't "boost" your charging system voltage - in fact everytime the cap gets discharged it has to get recharged, which requires current on top of what the amp is drawing. The only way to fix light dimming issues are to upgrade your wiring and to install a higher output alternator - no ifs ands or buts about it. I have two rockford amps in my car that will draw peaks of 120 amps when played loud enough, but I don't have a cap and I don't need one b/c my wiring is beefy enough and I have no light dimming issues b/c I run a modified accord alternator that puts out 150 amps at 1500 rpm - enough to cover the system and the extra load from the rest of the car. The one and only thing that IMO justifies a cap is that it can reduce noise a bit from the charging system from the car - that's just about it! Spend the extra 100 bucks on thick wire!