Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

how much for a custom trunk enclosure to be done? check these out..

Old 05-08-2003, 09:32 AM
bluersx510

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much for a custom trunk enclosure to be done? check these out..

I would like an install job similiar to this:

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_p...d=150037&page=4

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_p...d=217739&page=2

Either of those.. I am not looking for fancy logos or graphics either.. but both of those were done on the same car I have.. as for gear, I have the following to put in the trunk:

JL 1000/1
JL 300/4
JL 12w7
MB Quart 6.5 QM Series Crossovers

I will be doing the head unit, components, all the wiring myself.. so all the wires and amps will be located in the trunk ready for the installer to do it..

How much would it cost retail (local car stereo shop) and how much would an independent guy charge? I am just looking for rough estimates so I don't get owned by someone out there..
Old 05-08-2003, 09:39 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

broken hyperlinks going to a unspecified webpage in the host tree
:bandito:

Around central jersey and the crack pipe shops that are run here..custom trunk installs can run from minimum $500 to whatever your heart desires.

I say take a color printout of that page and ask some of your local shops that's the kind of setup you wanna get done... go to a few places and see what the avg. price is... dunno what else to tell ya.

..or you could always be the major playa in your neighborhood and try some custom fiberglassin yourself and b*tch :slap: all of your audio noob friends by showing off your custom handiwork as they wet themselves seeing and hearing your pimp system...
Old 05-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Randy12vp

By not knowing what kind of vehicle we are talking about here, I would have to give you an educated guess on how much it would be for a custom trunk setup. In my area, the average shop gets approximately $1000 or so to do a custom trunk setup. However, that price could be a little higher or lower depending on exactly what you are looking for as far as materials used, lighting within the trunk, motorization, etc.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Turbosi

I did this trunk for about $300... is this too simple for ya?

Custom enclosure, all wood no glass, amp rack (two amps) behind that rear seats. nothing major...

$300 was just labor but it includes running all wires. Hell I should have charged $300 for just running the wires to the front door speakers, that part sucks...
Old 05-09-2003, 08:34 AM
rcurley55

Here, I fixed the links for you:

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pa...=150037&page=4

and

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pa...=217739&page=2

Now I have never worked for a shop or gotten a quote from one. That said, the first one is going to be far cheaper then the second one. And I like the first one a LOT more then the second one - go figure.

The first system has no finished fiberglass work. It's just a simple spare tire well box and some MDF ad plexi work. Add some carpet and you are done.

The second system involves sanding, then sanding, then a break, then sanding...you get the picture.

Independently, I would think I could do the first one for around 1000-1200 and the second one I would have ready for paint (no paint included) for around 1500-1750. That's just a guess, I'm sure I'm way off, but that's what I would charge in my garage at my house to build it.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:39 AM
bluersx510

how can you tell the first one doesn't have fiber glass work? WOuld it be possible there was fiberglass work done for the sub enclosure for the bottom area? (kinda like a tub)

I have a pretty big speaker, the 12w7, big amp: 1000/1, and the regular sized amp: 300/4.. so fitting all this in the spare wheel well of an RSX seems a bit challenging..

I'd like to do all this myself.. but am not sure how to do the placement of the items.. and I personally also like the first install better. If I were to go w/ the 2nd one, I wouldn't have that HUGE Acura logo either.. just something simple w/ the plexi over the top.. hmm..
Old 05-11-2003, 04:39 AM
Randy12vp

There could have been a fiberglass tub involved in the first photo. Probably not necessary though based on the height of the false floor that was constructed.

I say you should attempt doing your setup/installation yourself. There is nothing more rewarding then being able to admire your own handywork when it comes to your own vehicle.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:18 AM
bluersx510

Originally posted by Randy12vp
There could have been a fiberglass tub involved in the first photo. Probably not necessary though based on the height of the false floor that was constructed.

I say you should attempt doing your setup/installation yourself. There is nothing more rewarding then being able to admire your own handywork when it comes to your own vehicle.
ABSOLUTELY... I would love to be able to do my own.. because I know it would be a clean job and a great learning experience that I can build upon when doing installs in the future as well.. :thumbup:

Thing is, the 12w7 is pretty deep.. and I'm not sure about some of the basics.. like how many layers of glass to do? Or how much space should be behind the magnet, assuming the speaker is firing directly up? How about making the amp rack? How to do that?
Old 05-11-2003, 02:24 PM
rcurley55

I had said finished fiberglass - this means no sanding for paint or vinyl. I'm fairly certain that there is 'glass in that install.

The problem with a W7 is that you are going to have one hell of a hard time getting a flat floor. I think that sub is around 9" deep, +the 2" on the front side you will need for cone travel (surround + travel) + 1" on the back side of the magnet (at least) + a bit for the glass - that's a total of around 12-13" of depth that you will need for the finished product - I don't know what a spare tire well on a RSX looks like, but I'm going to assume that it's only around 6" deep - that means that you will have to raise the floor a total of between 6 or 7 inches.

If you go for a totally flat floor - you will waste a TON of space.

I'd try to get the amps in the floor, then have a box that uses part of the tire well, and part that is raised above the floor. you could also use both sides of the trunk to mount components.

I'm putting an IDMAX in my spare tire well, so I have looked at the numbers - I also have two big amps, and on top of that 4 big processors - and I need my trunk for golf clubs, etc.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Randy12vp

Another thing you can try is contacting JL Audio tech support and tell them what you are trying to accomplish and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to offer you some insider tips to make your install that much easier to perform.