Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

n00b questions regarding wiring

Old 04-28-2003, 03:31 PM
ClayMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b questions regarding wiring

How are "stock", 6-speaker systems (so 2 in the rear, 2 front doors, 2 tweeters typically hooked up using only the HU's internal amp and 4-channel output? Are the fronts running in parallel? By that I mean, each pair of door/tweeter are running out of a single output. If that's the case... Where are the crossovers located?

The reason that I ask is... I have a used 6G Accord. The previous owner took all of his aftermarket components out, except the head unit (a Clarion DX725) and a pair of Kenwood component tweeters near the windshield. (They look almost exactly like these - http://www.kenwoodusa.com/content/pr...e/kfc-st30.jpg) So apparently, the door speakers and the 6x9's in the back are stock Honda stuff. Right now, I think the tweeters are running in parallel with the front door panel speakers. Is this the best setup? (assuming no new equipment)

Now, if I do get new equipment.. What should I do about the mids? Would any 6-1/2" 2-ways do, or would I have to match them with the tweeters I already have, to complete the other half of the component "set"?

Sorry for the length and probably dumb quetsions ;0
Old 04-28-2003, 07:59 PM
overflow

in a factory system your "crossover" is usually a very Mediocre thing, a car on the tweeter and nothing on the woofer...at least in most cars. if you are unfortunate enough to have an externally amplified system the crossovers are usually in the amp.

i would probably ditch the frankenstein components and buy a new set and an amp. then you will run the components in parralell thru the x-over that comes with it, usually showing a 4 ohmn load...depending on the components of course.

as far as the 6x9's go, a nice set of coaxes will work fine for rear fil (unimportant IMO) and a sub to pick up the slack...

my personal favorite is alpine. i just got the spx177a's for my civic and i cant wait to get them in. they are really a dope set. but you just need to visit some shops and see what you like.

as far as the clarion deck goes...no comment
Old 04-28-2003, 10:47 PM
LjN_728

uh...before you listen to overflow's suggestion about ditching the components, why don't u see what you can use? Components don't come cheap that's why. I'm assuming that the tweeters are a component system and not just tweeters alone cuz that just sucks. So what you want to make sure first is to see if the 6.5" on the front door panel and the tweeters are connected to a crossover. If the 6.5" spkrs aren't part of the component, then u could buy a new system.

What I'm suspecting is that the original owner had everything hooked up to a 4 channel amp. When he sold it to you, he removed the amp and just connected the original audio wire to the crossover, that's why your tweeters are still going. So take part the door panel and see what's going on. If you don't know how to take the panel apart, check out http://www.morningz.com/mz/integra/audio.asp.

Hopefully all you have to do it buy a 4 channel amp and reconnect everything. Man that's a long task. G'luck! post updates
Old 04-30-2003, 04:46 PM
ClayMan

so if the 6.5"s in the door panels are stock (i'm pretty sure they are, i'll have to check when i have time later) i'll ahve to ditch the tweets that i have already and get a new set of components? is there a more economicaly solution, reusing the tweeters?

and another newbie question.. what makes the crossovers on the amps bad? i would have thought it would make for a cleaner install.. (less wiring)
Old 04-30-2003, 05:47 PM
LjN_728

Well yea u could reuse the tweeters. U just have to find the x-over and 6.5" that goes along with it. Sometimes it's just easier to buy a complete set. OR if want, leave the tweeters connected to the original audio wire and when u buy a new component set, install the new tweeter and connect it to the amp. Then you'll have a higher output.

who ever said crossovers on the amp were bad? almost all amps come with a built in crossover.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:49 PM
ClayMan

Originally posted by LjN_728
Well yea u could reuse the tweeters. U just have to find the x-over and 6.5" that goes along with it.
Would it sound really really bad if I used just some other 6.5" and crossover as opposed to the ones specifically matched to it?

Sometimes it's just easier to buy a complete set. OR if want, leave the tweeters connected to the original audio wire and when u buy a new component set, install the new tweeter and connect it to the amp. Then you'll have a higher output.
so i'll have 4 tweeters in different positions.. wouldn't that be bad for sound imaging though?

who ever said crossovers on the amp were bad? almost all amps come with a built in crossover.
i was confused about what overflow said about how "if you are unfortunate enough to have an externally amplified system the crossovers are usually in the amp." i guess he meant fortunate?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:04 AM
LjN_728

Well to answer the first one about the tweeters, it's really hard to kno wut the specs are for each different tweeters. That's y i said sometimes it's easier to buy a complete set.

For ur 2nd question, if u do get an amp and new component system, you won't even notice the extra tweeter. It'll sound more like mids with the amp.

3rd question....yea he probably meant fortunate