Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Component install in 6th gen Accord

Old 04-27-2003, 11:59 AM
BigTicket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Component install in 6th gen Accord

Hey folks,

I'm new to this site but hoping you can help me out. I'm planning on installing Infinity Kappa 60.5cs component speakers for the front speakers of my 2002 Accord. I have the SE model so it has the tweeter space near the windsheild. What I want to do is use the existing wire for the stocks and just put in the Kappas. I haven't actually taken off the door panel to see where the wires run but I tried looking under the dash and I can't tell which wires are what on the drivers side and the passenger side is blocked by the A/C unit so my question is how do I find the speaker wire and where should I split it to put in the crossover? I have an amp that was installed by Circuit City but from what they told me they ran the wires from the amp back to the headunit and then into the existing speaker wires (my friends say that's the cheap way to do it). Also has anyone else installed these particular speakers into a 6th gen Accord? Will they fit with minimal cutting of the plastic harness or will I need to build one of those MDF things that I read about on other threads. Sorry for all the questions, I don't have the speakers yet, they arrive in 2 days but I want to be ready when they get here.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:29 PM
LjN_728

Am I the guy u're looking for or what! haha I have a 00' accord coupe and have installed my infinity 60.5 cs, myself! So i can most def help u out.

Aiight...I originally planned on putting the tweeters up by the windshield, but what I noticed was 1) it didn't fit and 2) the sound of from the tweeters didn't carry to the passengers that well. You might not like it, but I installed my tweeters literally on my door panel. You might think where?!? The tweeters are located pretty close to where the side mirror is. There's an area on the door panel, close to the side mirror, that's about 4 inches wide. What's good about the components is that u could angle them towards you.

If you do plan to do what I did, and I kno you'll like it, you're going to drill a hole the size of your tweeter. I just made a small hole and used a filer to make the hole. Oh another perk of mounting the tweeters on the door was that hooking it up to crossover was easy.

Now when installing the 6.5" spkrs on the front door, you're going to notice that the new spkrs don't fit in the basket or the plastic piece that holds the spkrs. You're going to need to cut the backing off, leaving only a ring like shape. You need this piece to mount the spkr.

For the actual crossover, I simply zip tied it onto the door frame. **Have the windows lowered before you zip tie the x-overs**. You don't want to accidently break anything.

Do you have a 4 channel amp? If you don't, get one. Running the components thru the HU sucks!

Now the hard part is the wiring. It's going to be a long process. I didn't want to use the oem wires. I went with monster cable spkr wire. A good 8-10 guage is good enough. If you don't know how to remove the side panels, reply and i'll help u out.

That's pretty much it man. Took me about 3 hours to do everything just the way I wanted. I love these components. If you need any reference, check out http://www.morningz.com/mz/integra/audio.asp. They put the tweeters by the windshield. PM if u need more info. G'luck!
Old 04-29-2003, 04:19 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

To add to LJN's comments.. remember to waterproof your crossover if you decide to mount it in the door.

I've installed many components in my 2000 accord coupe, and everytime I notice that water does enter the inner skin of the door. Water and live connections do not mix. I used a sandwhich bag and wither ziptied the ends or used somesticky soundeadening stuff...

Placement of the tweeters is key to a good soundstage... as LJN did and installed his in the upper panel..near the sail panel.. is a good choice... I have heard cars where the tweets were placed in the stock locations and had a very wide open soundstage...I say stick some double sided tape to your tweeter and move it around in different locations until you get a soundstage perfect for you.

Lastly..stock wiring which is 16gauge.. is more than plenty for wiring up speakers... IMO "larger gauge wire is not needed in runs up to 30 feet...14-16 gauge is more that plenty" (quoted from Dan Wiggins from Adire Audio from one of his e-mails when I needed help installing the koda6.1)...
Old 04-29-2003, 11:27 AM
BigTicket

Thanks for the help guys. Okay, I just got the speakers yesterday and like you said LJN, the tweets won't fit in the stock location unless I do some sort of mod like they did on that website you provided. If I'm gonna do that I might as well put it in the door. Okay, so I'm gonna try to install the tweeter in that area you guys suggested. If I stick with the stock wiring can I just disconnect the stock tweeter and then install the crossover into the door speaker wire? I know they run parallel so if I cut it will I lose signal to the doors? I popped out the tweeter on the passenger side and it has two black wires that run down into the dash but from there I don't know where they go. Sorry for all the dumb questions. My old car just used 2-ways that I just plugged into the stock wires. This is my first time with components. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:01 PM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

I didnt even bother with the stock tweeter... just connect the stock wire that comes into the stock woofer into the input of your crossover.. and the rest I think you know what to do

The stock tweeter plays a very very attenuated signal which is not even heard... so I didnt worry about it.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:40 PM
BigTicket

Sounds like a plan. Since this will be my first time doing this I think I shall save it for the weekend when I know I can spend all day doing this. One more question though. There were two tweeter mounts that came with the speakers: one for a flat mount and the other that allows me to adjust the direction. The one with the flat mount would mean I only have to drill three small holes for the wires and the screws but I would lose the adjustment feature but the one that allows for adjustment would mean that I have to drill one huge hole into the door panel. I'm sure the adjustable one would sound better but would it sound MUCH better than if I just flat mount it to the door? I'd rather not make such a huge hole if it doesn't make that much of a difference. Oh, one more question, moofoo you mentioned that I should make the crossover waterproof. Should I do the same for the speaker too since I have to cut the back off the plastic mount? As always thanks for all the help you guys are providing.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:33 PM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Dude... about waterproofing... yeah if you are going to mount the crossovers in your doors I would waterproof them. With the midwoofers... www.crutchfield.com sells XTC foam covers for the rear of the speaker... to protect it from the environment. but most speaker cones are waterproof by nature... I'd use the XTC on untreated paper cones.. which are pretty rare in car audio..

I would not surface mount the tweeter..because it looks BUTT ugly I would recommend flush mounting the tweeter by making a very precise hole and slipping the flush tweeter mount into the hole... u'll get a very clean install!

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 05-01-2003, 12:16 AM
LjN_728

Regarding the waterproofing. I've had my components for over 2 yrs now and water hasn't dropped in, knock on wood! Unless ur car has been in a accident, I wouldn't bother waterprooing. There's still a very tight seal in the door panel. But do it if u feel uncomfortable.

In regards to wiring everything, I chose to re-do all the wire and not use the factory wiring because when i sell my car, i don't want a single thing wrong. What I also notice with the factory audio wiring is that the color of the wires don't match up. Take apart the dash on the driver's side and see for urself. I'm telling u, best bet is to rewire everything just for the components. Very easy job!
Old 05-03-2003, 10:25 PM
BigTicket

Update time!

Okay so I set out to install these components today. I did get it done but it took about 6 hours. 4 hours for the first door then about and 1 1/2 hours for the other. It took me quite a while to get the woofer to fit in that little space but I finally got it after basically cutting out the entire back part of the plastic basket. Cutting the holes for the tweeters was intersting too. At first I was thinking "what the hell am I doing to my car!" But after I got the tweeter in it looked pretty damn good. I think I still gotta adjust the angle of the tweets a little but other than that it sounds great. I did go with the flush mounting instead of the surface mount like you suggested moofoo. Just wanted to let you guys know how it went. Thanks again to LJN and moofoo for all your help.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:08 PM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

All we need now are pics! :rockon: