Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

1996 Accord radio keeps resetting

Old 09-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Accord96
Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Accord radio keeps resetting

Hey guys, as title says, my 96 Accord ex stock radio keeps resetting. If I turn the car off any longer than a minute or two, it will ask for the code again (which I thankfully memorized) but it just becomes annoying resetting it for short trips.

I don't think it's the battery, as the car itself still starts, however it does take about 5 seconds before it starts and it does have corrosion around the terminals, so I could be wrong. I also thought it could be a blown fuse, but then I figured that couldn't be it, as the radio wouldn't power on in the first place if that was the culprit.

Any other ideas? I apologize if this topic has been covered, but I did a search and it didn't yield anything. Thanks in advance for any response/insight you may have.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
b00gers

So there are cases when you turn off the car completely for less than a minute and the radio will retain the code / radio stations...etc? Is your clock resetting also?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Accord96
Lurker

Yes, if I turn it back on within 30 seconds to a minute, it will retain the stations and time. But if it goes off any longer than 90 seconds or so, then the stations will be lost. Also yes, my clock does get reset and is really dim unless I press the button and then it will turn bright.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 PM
b00gers

You have no problems with starting your car though?

The memory of the radio and clock are on the same power wire. It seems like that line isnt getting power when the car is off for a period of time. Unless I am missing something, it sounds like your battery is dying and not providing power to it.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Accord96
Lurker

No, no issues starting my car. It could be my battery... starter sounds a bit lower tone when it is in the process of turning over (if that makes any sense) in the similar sense that a radio losing power sounds lower tone. My thought though, was that if it were the battery, how am I still able to start my car all this week, as I'm sure that takes far more power than a radio + clock does.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Accord96
Lurker

Out of insomnia/boredom, I just went outside and checked my fuse box thoroughly, none of my fuses were blown. I'll check the voltage of the battery if I get a chance later, but I just don't understand how it could be the battery if I'm getting enough power to turn over my motor and my headlights are not dim.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Accord96
My thought though, was that if it were the battery, how am I still able to start my car all this week, as I'm sure that takes far more power than a radio + clock does.
Ya...I agree. That is why I asked.

It wont be your fuse. With the fuse, it either works or doesnt.

The next thing I would try is more of a pain to do. But I would run a new line from the battery to the constant power wire on the radio. You dont have to run it neatly...just take the radio out and run a new wire to the battery. Then leave it out for more than a couple mins and see if you get the same problem. If it solves the problem, then you can run it neatly.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Accord96
Lurker

It ended up being the radio. Swapped it out with an aftermarket one and the issues went away.