Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp Install - 12V Supply in Hatch Area of Integra?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 AM
racertyprs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Install - 12V Supply in Hatch Area of Integra?

I am installing a very low powered amp in the hatch area of a 1995 3 Dr Integra. Is there a suitable "always on" 12V supply in the cargo area?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:14 AM
b00gers

you need to get the power source from the battery. How small is it exactly?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 AM
racertyprs

Originally Posted by b00gers
you need to get the power source from the battery. How small is it exactly?
It's listed as 50watts nominal and that's probably being kind. It's a Pioneer spare tire sub-woofer. (Don't laugh - it was free.)

Is there a known existing firewall grommet on a 1995 Avura Integra? I didn't see one. There is a large grommet that is being used just to right and below the battery. It's oval and has some wires going through it. The wires are covered with black loom. I can't tell if thise are factory wires or not.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 AM
b00gers

I use the grommet on the driver side...it will lead under the dash area and snake right under the foot panels. It is very easy to access from the engine bay and under the dash.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 AM
racertyprs

I use the grommet on the driver side...it will lead under the dash area and snake right under the foot panels. It is very easy to access from the engine bay and under the dash.
It it easy to see? Is it a plug? Or are there wires soming through it already?

None "jumped" out at me when I had my head under the hood.

I am using a 10 ga wire.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 AM
b00gers

There are already wires going through. The wires are covered in a black wrapping, so you arent going to see a lot of exposed wire.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I would strongly recommend using the firewall grommet on the passenger side instead.
It's located behind and below the tray where the battery is mounted and goes completely unused on left-hand-drive models.

In my experience, the driver's side firewall pass-through is already stuffed full with the OEM engine and transmission harness.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
I would strongly recommend using the firewall grommet on the passenger side instead.
It's located behind and below the tray where the battery is mounted and goes completely unused on left-hand-drive models.

In my experience, the driver's side firewall pass-through is already stuffed full with the OEM engine and transmission harness.
True. I only suggested the driver side one because the passenger side involves taking the battery out

The one on the driver side is already used up, but I have had 2 4gauge power cables through there before....running a 10g should be cake.

But ya, if you want to be neat and save a few feet of cable, there is one under the battery. I dont know how it looks like running to the inside though.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

True. I only suggested the driver side one because the passenger side involves taking the battery out

The one on the driver side is already used up, but I have had 2 4gauge power cables through there before....running a 10g should be cake.

But ya, if you want to be neat and save a few feet of cable, there is one under the battery. I dont know how it looks like running to the inside though.

Once you get through the firewall, you've got plenty of places to secure a power lead while keeping away from the ECU harness. Once you run down the passenger-side door sill and under the rear subframe brace, the rest is dead simple.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 AM
racertyprs

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™

Once you get through the firewall, you've got plenty of places to secure a power lead while keeping away from the ECU harness. Once you run down the passenger-side door sill and under the rear subframe brace, the rest is dead simple.
Do you run the power cable under the plastic door sill? If so - how do those suckers pop out?