Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

No cluster lights after stereo install

Old 01-10-2003, 02:44 PM
dliske
Set a fire, go to jail!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No cluster lights after stereo install

Just had a cd receiver intalled (with four new speakers) in my '99 Accord. Install was done by a local shop. Upon turning on my headlights, my instrument lights no longer work. The cluster was never removed for the install and no wires were cut. A wiring harness kit was used and the receiver's display properly dims when the headlights are turned on. All fuses are ok, and the dimmer switch is "on". Any ideas? Oh, also just noticed that the illumination behind all of my air conditioning controls in the center console are not working, as well.

BTW, the stereo shop has already ordered a new instrument cluster at their cost. Even though the shop will be fixing my car, or so it seems, I was hoping someone might have an idea as to what could have caused the failure. Also, if someone has cluster installation instructions, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

David Liske
Old 01-11-2003, 07:02 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Sounds like they went in to the dimmer line for your head unit, but connected something wrong. Anyone who does this for a living should not have any problems hooking up the dimmer line. I have seen amatures incorrectly wire the dimmer line on the after market h.u. to the 12v acc, so when ever the radio is on, the display is dim. But unless they shorted something (sounds like that's what happened), I don't know how they burned your entire dash illumination.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:22 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

It kinda sounds like they shorted out the dimmer switch itself... In the newer Honda's... the dimming system was a little different... in the respect that the factory radio lighting dimmed with the rest of the dash. They probably tapped into the wrong dimmer wire, the one that actually dims the lighting, and it burnt out the dimmer... have them re-wire the deck, PROPERLY, and replace the dimmer switch (which is like $100).
Old 01-12-2003, 07:28 PM
dliske
Set a fire, go to jail!

Thanks for the responses so far. The one thing I find interesting is that (based upon your responses) it seems the dimmer circuit (or the switch) has been shorted or improperly tapped. But for my installation the head unit was wired with a harness, and no wires were cut or spliced. From what I saw of the harness, it appeared to simply plug in the back of the unit and into the existing wiring. Is there any way to cause a problem with the circuit if only the factory radio was unplugged, and the new harness and head unit were simply connected?

BTW, the technician had already placed a call to Honda to check on a dimmer switch, and he was informed that it is integrated in the instrument cluster and cannot be purchased separately. The tech subsequently placed the order for the cluster ($320), and it should be in by Tuesday.

I am still holding out for a better diagnosis of what happened, as the shop's owner will be in this week. FWIW, it is a VERY reputable shop in town here, and the owner has a myriad of experience. Unfortunately, when my receiver was installed, he was in Vegas for the CES, so he has yet to look at my car. At this point in time, I am expecting nothing less than a satisfactory resolution. I was just looking for some insight, because this occuring just bugged the heck out of me.

Thanks and regards,

David Liske
Old 01-12-2003, 07:47 PM
AccordCoup94

hmm.. i had the same problem, check the fuse box under the hood of your car. look for a fuse labled "small light". all of my interior lights are out because the fuse keeps blowing out and my back auxilary brake lights dont work .. you should check on that too and see if they are out.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:37 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

thats what I was getting at... the person that wired up that harness, wired it wrong most likely... and wired the illumination wire from the deck, to the wrong wire in the harness adapter.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:56 AM
dliske
Set a fire, go to jail!

Update- My car is still being worked on. No firm answer yet. The shop checked the harness wiring...tried some other things...and then sent the car to an electrical shop. Today will be my first chance to get a firsthand explanation. Will update again.

David Liske
Old 01-17-2003, 10:26 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

glad they're fixing it!
Old 01-17-2003, 11:56 AM
b12uceHuy
Jizz Maste12

Similar thing happened to me they (AL and ED audio) messup the wiring and shorted my Multiplex unit ($400.00) but they paid for it =).
The multiplex unit is a small blue box on passanger side located on the back of the fuse box.
controls: Factory alram window lock etc...
Old 01-18-2003, 06:29 AM
dliske
Set a fire, go to jail!

Well, I got my car back last night, and I had a chance to speak with both the stereo shop owner, and the electrician to find out what happened:

According to the owner, the installer was "probing wires that he had no business probing." Something to do with testing the power antenna wire on the factory harness. Problem is, with my car, there is no power antenna, as the antenna is in the rear glass. It was while doing this, the dash and cluster lights went out.

The stereo shop realized they were over their heads in fixing the problem and sent my car out to be worked on. The short story is that I had the same problem that b12uceHuy had, though it was the multiplex unit on the driver's side fuse box that had been shorted.

There is actually a bright side in this story...it turns out the "electrician" that my car was sent to is actually an independent Honda mechanic in my town, and in speaking with him, he appears to be extremely knowlegeable. I will know be going to him for work, instead of the dealer.

Thanks for all of your replies.

David Liske