Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

'03 Civic Remote Starter Issue...

Old 02-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Jay633

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Civic Remote Starter Issue...

Hey every one, here is an interesting one for those techs out there.

I have a stock 2003 Honda Civic LX Automatic, bought new from the dealer. I had a remote starter installed by the dealer (Autostart AS-1424 with a PKH3 Transponder Bypass) when I bought the car new. To this day, no problems what so ever.

However, this past week I replaced the Starter Motor. In doing so, I disconnected the battery. After the installation was complete, I reconnected the battery, started the car with the key, and every thing worked like a charm… except the remote starter. Here is what it does:

Idle mode works fine (With the car running, I press the start button and remove the key, and can leave the vehicle running, and stop it with the remote). I can also re start the car with the remote starter shortly thereafter.

However, ether at the first start of the day, or if the car had been sitting for several hours, (Canada, average temperature of -15 Deg C. theses days) I will attempt a start with the remote, and it will turn the engine over, but wont start (3 consecutive programmed attempts). I had done this sitting in the car, watching the cluster to see if the green key flashes and it does NOT. (Figuring it’s not the Transponder bypass).

So, I thought it might be a problem with the “Multi-Speed Tach Learning”. So, as per the installation manual of the remote starter, I attempted a re-program with no avail. I am scratching my head with this one!

Does any one have any ideas why the remote starter won’t start the car ‘cold’?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Tedmond

first of all, you probably need to reset the unit then reprogram the tach. i have had many issues of this when people bring the car if for service, i end up programming tach once again and in some cases programming the bypass then all it well.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Jay633

Originally Posted by Tedmond
first of all, you probably need to reset the unit then reprogram the tach. i have had many issues of this when people bring the car if for service, i end up programming tach once again and in some cases programming the bypass then all it well.
FYI For everyone. Got fed up, so took it to the dealer. They replaced the Transponder Bypass... and low and behold, it fixed the problem!

I also had a Check Engine (MIL) lite on, with code P0420 (TWC). So, luckily, the emissions control is under warranty for 8 years, or 130K Km. I have 120K, so the damn thing was replaced....

Working like a charm now! Just thought I would let every one know. Thanks to all for the inputs.

Jay
Old 05-30-2009, 03:12 PM
samabhi12

Originally Posted by Jay633
Hey every one, here is an interesting one for those techs out there.

I have a stock 2003 Honda Civic LX Automatic, bought new from the dealer. I had a remote starter installed by the dealer (Autostart AS-1424 with a PKH3 Transponder Bypass) when I bought the car new. To this day, no problems what so ever.

However, this past week I replaced the Starter Motor. In doing so, I disconnected the battery. After the installation was complete, I reconnected the battery, started the car with the key, and every thing worked like a charm… except the remote starter. Here is what it does:

Idle mode works fine (With the car running, I press the start button and remove the key, and can leave the vehicle running, and stop it with the remote). I can also re start the car with the remote starter shortly thereafter.

However, ether at the first start of the day, or if the car had been sitting for several hours, (Canada, average temperature of -15 Deg C. theses days) I will attempt a start with the remote, and it will turn the engine over, but wont start (3 consecutive programmed attempts). I had done this sitting in the car, watching the cluster to see if the green key flashes and it does NOT. (Figuring it’s not the Transponder bypass).

So, I thought it might be a problem with the “Multi-Speed Tach Learning”. So, as per the installation manual of the remote starter, I attempted a re-program with no avail. I am scratching my head with this one!

Does any one have any ideas why the remote starter won’t start the car ‘cold’?
Either you should reset the switch or check the wiring properly.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
onesweetcivic

ive been doing remotestarts for 8 yrs and this is a common problem relearn the tach signal or use the voltage sensing mode selected in the features menu of the program mode hope this helps