Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What would be the ideal setup?

Old 12-26-2002, 08:13 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be the ideal setup?

I have some 3way 6x9's in the back, some 6.5's up front, and of course some subs. Question is this, right now, only the 6x9's and subs are playing, and since the 6x9's are providing all of the mids/highs, I have them set to run high pass w/the variable crossover set to the lowest frequency, that way the mids/highs sound very crisp and I can crank the volume w/o them distorting. Once I get my 6.5's installed, should I run the 6x9's full range since they are gonna be used for rear fill and I can fade them out if necessary w/the fader on the deck, run the 6.5's full range or high pass? They are Kenwood KFC-XR600 dualmags. Or should I run the tweets for them off one channel(high pass), and run the mids low pass? Im gonna experiment with it this weekend, just looking to get some opinions and ideas. By the way, the 6x9's are Polk Audio EXII.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:39 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

thanks for all the help guys Really though, anyone have any input for me?
Old 12-28-2002, 12:36 AM
b00gers

run the components together on the same xover, tweets and woofer. makes it so much easier.

i dont think you should run the mids on low pass...most low pass filters filters everythings but the LOWs....you want midbass too, no?
Old 12-28-2002, 06:53 PM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

i would use the passive crossover given with the component set. set the fronts to high pass but set it at a low frequency.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:44 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Alright, after experimenting with the different settings, wiring(via switch thanks to my sweet Soundstream Reference 414S amp) and crossover settings, I ended up running the fronts high pass but on a low frequency to give a noticeable midbass thump as well as crisp highs. I didn't have any speaker wire(what the hell did I do with it? ) to wire up my 6x9's but I think im gonna end up running them the same way cause I don't want them to be overpowering, just want a little rear fill. I will find the speaker wire I just got not too long ago and wire up my 6x9's tomorrow, I can't wait:naughty: