Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Honda Install Problems

Old 12-19-2002, 05:50 PM
RedRexDX
Stupid Hurts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Install Problems

I have a 92 civic hb with a problem. ive got a blaupunkt phoenix sqr 29A cass deck. currently i am running sony explod fronts, and pioneer rears. regardless if i turn up the bass even halfway everything distorts. should i upgrade the wiring from the radio? im thinking of just replacing the radio but i dont want to have the same problem with the new one...

and it has front and rear preamp outputs. i have a 350w concept amp that is running 2 reactor 10' subs... i believe 200w rms each. i have the amp hooked up to the rear preamps. even if i tune the gain to the deck and then mess with the bass boost they get very distorted. i had an old road gear deck in my last car and that worked beautifully for $30!!!! any ideas? i know my wiring is correct for the sub and im using rca wires that can handle up to 1000w currents. im also running my 4ga power wire on one side of the car, the remote and rcas on the other side.

please help!!
Old 12-19-2002, 11:04 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Default Re: Honda Install Problems

Originally posted by RedRexDX
I have a 92 civic hb with a problem. ive got a blaupunkt phoenix sqr 29A cass deck. currently i am running sony explod fronts, and pioneer rears. regardless if i turn up the bass even halfway everything distorts. should i upgrade the wiring from the radio? im thinking of just replacing the radio but i dont want to have the same problem with the new one...

and it has front and rear preamp outputs. i have a 350w concept amp that is running 2 reactor 10' subs... i believe 200w rms each. i have the amp hooked up to the rear preamps. even if i tune the gain to the deck and then mess with the bass boost they get very distorted. i had an old road gear deck in my last car and that worked beautifully for $30!!!! any ideas? i know my wiring is correct for the sub and im using rca wires that can handle up to 1000w currents. im also running my 4ga power wire on one side of the car, the remote and rcas on the other side.

please help!!
did u check the fuse coming off the battery? it may not be blown, but it may be warped. This happened to me in my 4th gen civic. On a Friday the 13th(of course ) I was driving home from work and had my beat going strong. After about 5 minutes of beating out, everything became staticky, until I turned the volume all the way down to a whisper, anything louder than that and it was pure staticky as hell. I could not figure out the prob for the life of me. I though I had blown my pre outs cause my deck only had a single set of 2 volt preouts and I was running 2 amps off the single set. After ripping my deck out, bench testing it, hooking it back up, still having the same problem, exchanging it and upgrading to a better deck(w/2 sets of preouts ) and still having the same problem. I said f*ck it, I know the fuse isn't blown cause my amps are powered up, but what the hell, let me check the damn fuse anyways. I looked at it and it looked like a Ruffles potato chip(hella wavy) still intact, but wavy. I put a new fuse in it and problem solved. I was mad that I didn't get that done in the first place, but I ended up getting a better deck(thanks Best Buy:thumbup: ) out of it so I just had a bruised ego for a minute.

Cliff Notes: check ur fuse coming off the battery and replace it if it's not flat like it's supposed to be
Old 12-20-2002, 12:53 AM
RedRexDX
Stupid Hurts

the amp fuse is fine. its an 80W fuse. the thing is huge. if it was blown it still wouldnt solve why the explods and pioneers running off the deck sound like ****. but thank i didnt think of that and i ran out to look at all my fuses.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:49 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

the amp fuse is fine. its an 80W fuse. the thing is huge. if it was blown it still wouldnt solve why the explods and pioneers running off the deck sound like ****. but thank i didnt think of that and i ran out to look at all my fuses.
ah, ur deck is running speakers too huh. sounds to me like ur amp is working too hard, getting hot, and going into thermal protection. You need to get an amp to run ur mids/highs, ur deck is working too hard to run them. just remember, most decks only put out like 15 watts rms per channel, if you have 4 speakers that can handle upwards of 75 watts rms, u can see how severely underpowering them you are. An amp would definitely solve this problem. Do this, disconnect the mids/highs and just run the sub and see if you have this problem, I will almost guarantee you won't cause the amp in the deck isn't working at that point. Give it a shot, at worst, you'll eliminate a possible problem:dunno:
Old 12-20-2002, 02:41 PM
RedRexDX
Stupid Hurts

ok i tried that. i left the front speakers plugged in, and i plugged the amp into the rear rcas. same thing. i also unplugged the fronts and tried both the front and rear outputs. still crap. im gonna switch the deck in the morning to my cheapo walmart deck that works so great in my crx and see if that solves the problem... it powers 4 pioneers nicely with a 250w amp. worst case ill just move the whole setup to the civic. sell the blau deck...
Old 12-20-2002, 05:25 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

ok i tried that. i left the front speakers plugged in, and i plugged the amp into the rear rcas. same thing. i also unplugged the fronts and tried both the front and rear outputs. still crap. im gonna switch the deck in the morning to my cheapo walmart deck that works so great in my crx and see if that solves the problem... it powers 4 pioneers nicely with a 250w amp. worst case ill just move the whole setup to the civic. sell the blau deck...
when did u try this? right when this first started happening or did the car sit for a while w/o the stereo playing? I don't know what else it could be, u already checked the fuse under the dash, under the hood and by the battery right? what about the fuse coming off the deck(probably on the yellow wire) dont' look for blow fuses cause if either one of those fuses were blow, ur deck wouldn't power up(unless it was the fuse off the battery). look for a fuse that has begun to melt, the filament itself. This is what happened to me, my system was drawing quite a bit of current, warped the filament in the fuse off the battery, but didn't blow it, result was static like you wouldn't believe. Good luck bro.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:44 PM
RedRexDX
Stupid Hurts

when i bought the car it had all 4 blown speakers, so i replaced them. i got the amp and subs to work properly.... just cant get the mid-highs correct now. when i wake up ill switch stereos. i did look at all the fuses. they look great considering i added the sub and amp 3 days ago...
Old 12-21-2002, 03:57 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

i need specs of the head unit...
also maybe you are just trying to overpower them?
Old 12-21-2002, 04:28 AM
RedRexDX
Stupid Hurts

overpower? yea right... it is a Blaupunkt Phoenix SQR29 old code radio. 1992 i believe. its only a 40w reciever... 10w per channel.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:05 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

when i bought the car it had all 4 blown speakers, so i replaced them. i got the amp and subs to work properly.... just cant get the mid-highs correct now. when i wake up ill switch stereos. i did look at all the fuses. they look great considering i added the sub and amp 3 days ago...
so your bass hits fine, its just the mids/highs that is all distorted and crap?