Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

12" alpine typeR subwoofer

Old 12-19-2002, 12:00 AM
AccordCoup94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12" alpine typeR subwoofer

hi. i just recently purchased a 12" alpine typeR subwoofer (dual 4 ohm). there are 2 sets of terminals to plug the speaker wires into.. why? i dont know much about car stereo so please dont judge. i have a bazooka el mono amp. i think its like 300rms and 650max. the amp is installed already, i just need to know how to wire the sub with it. the 2 sets of terminals are confusing me.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:09 AM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

**EDIT** My fault... thats how my sub is though.. it has 2 sets and you only use one
Old 12-19-2002, 04:16 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by Matt86
just use one of the sets... i don't think it matters which
are you serious?!!!!

anyways your subwoofer has a dual voice coil setup with each coil needing power. Your amp should have a rating of either generally 1, 2, or 4 ohm stable. (check it out) cuz to get the most out of your amp you want to run the subwoofer at the lowest possible stable level.

I think this is the best way to go for you.

getting 4ohms out of the sub is not possible unless you are running two of these at the same time
Old 12-19-2002, 05:56 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Don't take this as being rude, but if your new to this... you may want to stay away from Dual Voice Coil subs till your sure it's what you want. Dual Voice Coil (DVC) are twice as complicated to setup and get the best sound out of.

Don't get me wrong, they are great if setup right. But one might get a little discouraged if they jump right in with a DVC. If it's not too late or not possible, I'd look into returning that DVC sub and stick with a SVC sub.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:34 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by clickwir
Don't take this as being rude, but if your new to this... you may want to stay away from Dual Voice Coil subs till your sure it's what you want. Dual Voice Coil (DVC) are twice as complicated to setup and get the best sound out of.

Don't get me wrong, they are great if setup right. But one might get a little discouraged if they jump right in with a DVC. If it's not too late or not possible, I'd look into returning that DVC sub and stick with a SVC sub.
why is it TWICE AS HARD?
the man just needs a little guidance.... two more terminals do not really equate to twice the difficulty in my opinion.

Since you are new, you should have found out what dvc means before you buy it.
for instance buying a 1 ohm stable amp, and buying a sub running at 2 ohms makes you not use the amp to its best ability
Old 12-19-2002, 07:44 AM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

This is the worst diagram I've ever seen!!!! And then to see it came from infinity, that just makes it worse! Have any of you guys out there EVER EVER EVER seen a DVC sub with both positives on one side, and the negs on the other? NO! The problem here is some newbie will see this and not look for the + an - so they'll hook up a VC to itself...yeah in other words, DON"T FOLLOW THIS DIAGRAM!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:21 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by Toxis

This is the worst diagram I've ever seen!!!! And then to see it came from infinity, that just makes it worse! Have any of you guys out there EVER EVER EVER seen a DVC sub with both positives on one side, and the negs on the other? NO! The problem here is some newbie will see this and not look for the + an - so they'll hook up a VC to itself...yeah in other words, DON"T FOLLOW THIS DIAGRAM!
yeah thats pretty bad diagram, but i guess people should analyze the diagram carefully before doing anything

i think the reason they did that was so it was a more simple diagram. if they had it the "typical way" the lines will cross and confused the viewer...
Old 12-19-2002, 09:37 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

why is it TWICE AS HARD?
Twice as hard because it's twice as many connections. For someone new, figuring out ohms and such can be very complicated.

It's much easier to see a 4ohm amp and a 4ohm sub, get some good wattage near RMS, hook up the + to + and - to -. That's it, your done. (power and signal to) For you and I it's easy, someone new it's not.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:46 AM
z24hedturnr
U want that Woo WOO

Ok now that you have screwed up the noobs head. If he didnt already BLOW the sub into PIECES this is what he needs to do . . .bridge that Biatch down to 1 ohm!! You need to run a single wire from one neg post to one pos post. Then you have to run 1 pos to amp and one neg to amp!
Old 12-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

Here...follow this, it's ACCURATE!