Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Sound cutting in and out; mostly out.

Old 12-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Deagle
Nüb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound cutting in and out; mostly out.

I've got this weird problem. The sound coming from my stereo is on and off. It usually doesn't work when I cold start the car. I checked the wires from behind the console to the deck. Everything seems to be ok there. There's power going to the deck and it seems to be operating properly. The volume is up, the settings are correct, and it's not attenuated. I checked the fuses for the car and the deck and they're both good.

Here's the funny part. When I open and close the driver's side door the sound comes on sometimes, and it depends on where I hold the door open. I haven't tried it with the passenger side door yet.

I looked in the door. From what I can tell all the wires seem to be in place, though I'm a complete newbie when it comes to wiring. This is only a superficial observation also. I haven't looked at the wiring actually leading to the door at the hinge yet. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? I just find it weird that wiring in the one door could cause everything to not work. Would a short circuit do this?

I also notice that when I turn the deck power on there's a popping noise which comes through the speakers.

It just all of a sudden starting doing this.

I've got Type-R componants in the front with the included crossovers.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:15 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

wow. thats a doozy. I wish I could help u out, but sounds like there's alot going on there, hope u get it taken care of soon.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:29 PM
Deagle
Nüb

I'm guessing it's got nothing to do with the head (hoping) since opening the door seems to affect it. I know you're supposed to ground an amp. Would that still apply if I don't have one?

Man... I just got it put in and got my ride lowered on coilovers. I just finished my exams and was looking foward to goin cruisin around in it.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:30 PM
nando11211

I had a problem with a popping noise in my speakers at initial head unit turn on. I tried everything to diagnose the problem, finally found out that the speaker wire behind the speaker was loose, so I tightened it up and it was fine. I had the same problem too, that the speaker would cut off depending on which way I'm turning or whatever movement was going on with the car, but it never caused all the other speakers to cut off though.

Try double checking your connections to the speakers. Sorry bro thats all I know.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:37 PM
b00gers

what is aftermarket in your system...including the wiring.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Deagle
Nüb

I'm not really sure. The deck was replaced with a Sony M730 Xplod, which included the wiring harness. In the front I have Alpine Type-R componants. What it looked like when I had the door panel off was that all the wiring from the crossover to the speakers was new (included with the Type-Rs). I believe the wiring from the crossovers to wherever the wiring comes across into the door is new. There's some kind of a molex connector (?) there which I assume is still there from stock. The in back I have Type-R componants. The wiring used for that I don't know. I assume it's stock.

My window and power locks work fine, so I don't think it has anything to do with the car's electrical system, unless I need something like grounding.

The wiring for the deck looks pretty ghetto now that I think about it. Between the car and where it mates with the deck it looks like all the wires have been spliced, so one type of connector wires up into a different type of connector at the other end. It has some electrical tape wrapped around the whole deal. Is it supposed to be like that?
Old 12-15-2002, 12:43 PM
b00gers

take off the tape, see if its just a simple strip and twist job. at least let if be soldered....but yea.

the thing about your door, see if all the connections are tight there....maybe closing and opening the door is pulling on a loose wire.

the popping noise is probably from a loose ground on the HU.

its really hard to say. i would take each piece out and install it back in one by one.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:22 PM
Deagle
Nüb

Ahhh I figured it out. One of the wires was touching exposed metal and was grouding out the entire system... :doh:
Old 12-16-2002, 05:36 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by Deagle
Ahhh I figured it out. One of the wires was touching exposed metal and was grouding out the entire system... :doh:
:thumbup:
Old 12-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by Deagle
yeah... reading your first post that's what i was thinking. grounding out and sending you h/u into protection mode. but i arrived too little too late to help... ah well