Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Were can I find a switch panel for my after market lights?

Old 11-07-2002, 07:08 PM
seth90dx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were can I find a switch panel for my after market lights?

So, yea exactly what it says! I need to find a switch panel for all the lights and crap in my ride! Hook it up if you know were to get one with at LEAST 8 switches! Or can you hook multiple lights up to one switch?
Old 11-07-2002, 10:37 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

um... uhh... are you planning on stock switches? or just something to throw together, mount somewhere and have it switch things on and off.

You can wire as much as you want to one switch, just as long as you do not exceed the amperage rating, if that occurs you can add a relay controlled by the switch to handle the high load, but then again, be sure not to exceed the amperage rating of the relay. Also, be sure to protect everything with fuses or circuit breakers.

Switch panels are easy to make... you can use those plastic project boxes from radio shack and mount a few switches in there... I did that in both my dads trucks for his lights and stuff (for plowing and all) and they turned out really nice. You can also make a small plastic or metal panel to mount in place of the ashtray, in the glove box... anywhere you can think of, and mount switches in that... the possibilities are endless.

If you want something made up, let me know... I can come up with something for you if you let me know how you want it to look, where you want to mount it and how many switches/circuits you want.

Gardner Bender (GB)(sold at Lowes and other hardware stores) makes some nice switches, they have rocker switches that are about 3/4" X 1/5" that are really nice for in a car, and can handle a good load.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:45 PM
seth90dx

Well! I need them to be able to handle ALOT! SO is there any problem if your amprage EXCEEDS by ALOT the load the switch gets? It should only be one way right? What I meen is if the switch can handle 50 AMPS (which of course is a big as switch!) and you only have 10 Amps goin through it there shouldnt be any problems right? The reason Im askin is cause I will probably hook up more stuff later! As for were to mount it and how big I want it that is udicided, I do know that I want a built in fuse box and I want it to look nice! So let me know what you have in mind and the cost of materials + labor and we can figure somethin out! Also I would like these switches if possable! Go to www.selectproducts.com/ this is a great resorce for all kinds of good stereo stuff Maybe you could REBUILD the switches to handle more power? Oh yea, feel free to Email me im at sethsmailbx@yahoo.com
Old 11-08-2002, 01:26 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

a 50 amp switch can run UP TO 50 amps without a problem.. so 5, 10, 20 amps... thats all fine... anything over 50 amps is too much for the contacts... in this case, if you need more than 50 amps on one switch, you can use the switch to run a relay or 2... that will handle the higher amperage.

As far as the switch box/panel goes... I can built it for the cost of materials... I like doing things like that and I wouldnt feel right charging to do it. You just have to let me know how you want it (box or panel) where you're gonna mount it (dimensions of area) and what switches you'd want... Im not seeing any switches at select products... besides, if they have them they are probably overpriced and can be found else where for less. (select products prices are a little high)

I am wondering, what are these switches going to control?? 50 amps on one switch in a car is a lot. My fathers dump truck uses 50 amp switches!
Old 11-08-2002, 06:59 AM
seth90dx

A but load of NEONS, LED's, Actuators/servo's.... You know lots of crap I wana throw alot on one switch This way if I get a PIG detection on my radar, I can turn it all off with the flip of one switch.... Interior and exterior lights
Old 11-08-2002, 06:54 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

so you want like a master switch for everything?? then individual switches for the accessories...?
Old 11-08-2002, 07:17 PM
seth90dx

Hell! That would be sweet! But I need fuses!
Old 11-08-2002, 07:32 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

thats not a problem.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:36 PM
seth90dx

So I got some LED switches on the way Im gonna do this myself I need to buy a batterie isloator so my batteries dont feed off eachother! You know were I can get one? I will Also need a new alternator! Were talkin in te 130 amp range at least! I believe my motor+ stock electronics eats about 60Amps and I got a 800 watt system+ 6 12" Neons a neon around my deck a small blacklight in the glovebox and I plan on having 4 more 8" noeons AT LEAST! Pluss I want power to spare! Can you calculate how much I will be usin when I slap this all together?
Old 11-09-2002, 05:21 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

neon does not draw much power... but a larger alternator wont hurt either. You can have them re-built for more power, which is the more cost effective way... as a stinger alternator is roughly $1000.

Sometimes you can find re-built ones on eBay.

Why are you using 2 batteries? U dont need them.