Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Powering TV's&Game Systems

Old 10-28-2002, 05:12 PM
fivegcivic
poooooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powering TV's&Game Systems

As of now I am plannin on running, a Rockford Fosgate 400.2 Amp powering 2 Kenwood 12" subs(those tornado ones) and running 6.5"(front)/5.25" speakers off my Eclipse Headunit. Heres my question. I have a little 13" tv, as well as a vcr, playstation, and nintendo, all of which i would like to hook up to my car. I have audio and video taken care of but i'm not sure how i would power it all. I really will only be runnin the tv and one other piece at any time. Anyways i guess i could be completely cheap and buy a power inverter from Sears. What i really want to know is how i would power these pieces correctly. Feel free to laugh, I'm ok with that, but any advice would be helpfull.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:36 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

you may want to sell that 13" TV and get a LCD monitor... unless you want that huge TV velcro'd to the dash.

I'd say to get something a little more suited to the car to start with.

A power inverter is the way to power them... theres no other way really to get 120 volts in the car. You dont need anything huge... If you really plan on keeping the TV, go with something relatively large though, like a 200 watt inverter, TV's use a lot of juice on start up, and you dont want to overload it. Something with that power should have 2 outlets on it too.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:48 PM
fivegcivic
poooooo

yea, the whole deal is gonna sit on my trunk most likely. plus, i have about 0 dollars, and still gotta buy the amp and all 4 speakers. so cheap is the way for now. one more question that may be retarded, if put the tv in one socket, and plugged a power strip int he other, not to run multiple, but just use one at a time form there, but so i wouldnt have to plug and unplug, could i get away with it. actually, another question, do i need to worry about dealin with replacing the altenator for a larger one, addind a second, and/or gettin a nice battery, like the Fosgate ones? Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:00 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

a 200 watt inverter usually can just plug into the cigeratte lighter, so power consumption shouldnt be a concern. If you plan to mount it in the trunk, just power it like you would a normal amp, 10 gauge wire should be plenty, but see what the inverter recomends if anything. Yeah, you can plug a power strip into it, just be sure that the components that are on do not exceed the power ratings for the inverter.

All the components that you are using should list the power consumption on the back panels... or in the manuals. A 13" TV dosent draw that much power... maybe like 50 watts at the most.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:07 AM
fivegcivic
poooooo

Alrighty then, thanks for the help, ill let yo all know how it goes.