Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   Rear speakers in civics? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/299671-rear-speakers-in-civics.html)

ahkeen 03-12-2008 06:36 AM

Rear speakers in civics?

Hi guys im just curious how many of u don't have rear speakers in your civics? cuz i don't have ne at all. But im looking to get some and put them in myself. But since there is no wires at all in the back where would i start first? what kind of speaker wires do i need? do i have to rip up my carpet just to wire them to the front? (i have a sedan btw) would i have to cut my own speaker grill? just need some info and directions as to where i should start first. (other than buy speakers)

Also im not thinking about going to have a crazy sound system, but i am in the future installing a sub+amp or one of those bazooka subs, so simple setup or basic is ok for me. Well adding more speakers is better having just 2 in the front.

Im not sure if u guys need to know what kind of head unit have but i got a sony gt300, front speakers are a pair of kenwood 3 way (forgot the model # but only $50 at crutchfield)

Thx

randomtask77 03-12-2008 08:03 AM

If you have a coupe, it should already be prewired. Open your trunk and check out the area where the speakers would go. There should be two wires hanging in the area where the speakers would be. If not, then sorry buddy. I thought I was lucky when I did this with my DX coupe.

ahkeen 03-12-2008 09:39 AM

ya thats the thing its not prewired. >_<

is it easy to wire it?

Tedmond 03-12-2008 10:54 AM

you can just run your own speaker wire. that isnt hard to do.

ahkeen 04-03-2008 12:00 PM

okay now would i need brackets to hold the speakers up in place or the speakers will fit right into the hole?

randomtask77 04-04-2008 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ahkeen (Post 3856348)
okay now would i need brackets to hold the speakers up in place or the speakers will fit right into the hole?

There is supposed to be a speaker bracket back there but I don't think that there are any dealers that sell them. Your best bet would be ebay or somebody local that might be parting out their civic.

I happen to pick up a set from a dealer, but the thing I don't understand is that 6.5" speakers (I got kenwoods) do not fit. I mean the diameter of the bracket is larger than my 6.5" speaker so I could only screw down one hole. If I use a 5.25" speaker with a 6.5" adapter, it fits, but I have to screw down new holes. I thought it would be a simple job, but apparently these rear speaker brackets are not kenwood friendly. :(

chocolate_bear 04-14-2008 12:51 PM

what year civic are you installing speakers in? Is it a hatch, coupe or sedan?

ahkeen 04-14-2008 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ahkeen (Post 3828526)
(i have a sedan btw)

whatever i wrote above

but thx suewolff, he/she did say the metal in the trunk supports the speakers so i guess i would give tat a try, but the pain is running the wires which i have never done b4. I have rip open my dash, change the gauge, install CAI, install cat-back exhaust, my oil, but im puzzled :confused: as to how am i gonna run the wires :D

chocolate_bear 04-14-2008 07:12 PM

:oh: sorry, i could have sworn that I read your post word by word so this wouldn't happen (me looking like an idiot).

Anyways, if you're planning on installing an amp now, you can just run the wires along the side of the car, right behind the panels (that way you don't have to remove the carpet like you were wondering). Its generally a good idea to run power wires on one side, and the signal cables on the other side to avoid picking up unwanted sound. Its very simple to hide them, I would just suggest that you take your time when you do it.

I'm guessing you have an eg, otherwise I would have posted pics oh how I did mine. I think all the later civic 4 doors have 6x9's in the back. Have you decided on a set of speakers yet? Also, the best thing to do for brackets is make your own using 3/4" MDF because the plastic is more likely to vibrate and its annoying as hell - at least it is to me, but i'm anal about sq.

ahkeen 04-14-2008 07:22 PM

ya i got a eg8 95 civic sedan, the speakers im gonna be getting would be the same as wat i got in the front (kenwood) it seems to fit in the back metal trunk. now running speaker wires would i have to go separate different like the amp ones (power on one side and speak on other) or they can both go on one side?

well i will be happy enough to have 4 speakers in the car let alone adding a amp + sub. that will be very luxry for me lol

so basically take my time ripping up the carpet and plastic side molding?