Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

stock prelude head unit

Old 10-20-2002, 12:13 PM
TidusBlue
Long Lost Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???Replacing stock prelude head unit

I recently bought a 2000 prelude and when doing so that guy that I got it from mentioned that I should be careful when replacing the head unit because it's tied into the keyless entry. I've never done an install on a car with keyless entry, and was wondering if this would be any real problem, or if it's nothing to really worry about.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:52 PM
LjN_728

really?!? i didn't kno it was tied in with the keyless entry. i think ur boi was smoking some crappy ish! haha i put in a aftermarket HU in my friends 00' prelude and it's just fine. The only prob that i kno of with the 00' prelude is the acoustick feedback, which is located on the 6x9's.

if u think about it, the keyless entry works on its on mechanism. It can't be tied in with the HU. My friend's keyless entry works fine after the install!
Old 10-20-2002, 01:19 PM
TidusBlue
Long Lost Lurker

It was actually a dealership, and it sounded kind of wierd to me, but I thought I'd ask
Old 10-20-2002, 02:33 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

only certain, older civics and CRV's were wired like that... the Prelude head unit does not incorporate the keyless entry system "brain".
Old 10-21-2002, 04:47 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

SumAccordGuy is right -- only certain Civics have this, but it is possible: the power line for the dome lights and locks run through the head unit. Why? I don't know. But with Preludes you don't have to worry. Now, that accoustic feedback thing is another story. If you plan on doing work to your car, ask questions first to bypass it.