Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What headunit should I get?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What headunit should I get?

I've been thinking about upgrading mines. I currently have a Pioneer DEH-P770MP. Its a great head unit and have served me well. But I feel like I want to ditch the whole CD thing and get a headunit that can read CDs and flash drives. Just something that is easier to get new music into my car.

I am asking for suggestions because I have been out of the audio game for a while and dont know what is new.

All I need:
-reads CD-R
-good EQ
-3 sets of preouts
-detachable face
-has option for reading files off flash drives.
-under $400 retail

:hs:
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Tedmond

get an alpine, kenwood, or eclipse. if you wanted all of those for under 400, you lookin at 250 for the kenwood. but 400 for eclipse.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 AM
MeanGreen

i have a kenwood kdc mp532u. i really like it, although i did have a display issue with this my unit - fortunately under the factory warranty(which they extended a month for me) it was fixed.

i got it for the USB feature and since getting this unit i dont think ive burnt any cdr's(for the last year).

i dont think this model is available anymore but i like it for the most part. im not sure about the other brands but a usb feature that you may want to check on is whether your usb mp3 files will continue to play from where you left off if you remove the flash drive or turn on and off your car. they probly do, but before i got my kenwood i tried a cheap usb stereo from some off brand that would not function in that way (really annoying if you like listening to podcast mp3's).

also be aware that some flash drives might not work with your HeadUnit. i use pony flash drives, they're cheap and work well.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

You could get that for under $200. I got the Alpine, forgot what model, plugged my ipod in it. But the have an option for flashdrives as wel..
Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 PM
HECTIC_1

Alpine CDA-9884 is the shiznit. I have this deck and I am not dissappointed, it has everything you need.
CD/MP3/WMA Receiver
Built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
Plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files (except Digital Rights-protected files)
Fold-down, detachable face
Optional remote control
Bass Engine Sound Tuning with X-over and Subwoofer Level Control
High-pass filter (speakers and front/rear preamp outputs)
Compatible with: Alpine Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner, CD changer
Inputs: optional iPod control, optional aux input
Three sets of preamp outputs (subwoofer output has bass level control)
CEA-2006 compliant