Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

is it Ground or Alt noise?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 AM
GSR402LX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it Ground or Alt noise?

95 civic with b18 swap..the past few days i've notice whining noise when the headlights are on at night..but only when the lights are on, turn them off and the whine go away...this problem just started, didn't have this b4.

system:
eclipse cd/mp3 player
crunch gt-s speakers (cheapass kind from sounddomain)
150watts sony amp mono
8in JBL subwoofer
8G power amp kit
monster RCA

4G custom ground kit
bat>>chassis, bat>>tranny, postive>>alternator = the Big 3

what i have done prior to this problem, probably none related but:
replaced fuel filter, pcv valve, clean out throttle body with throttle body cleaner...maintaince stuff..

sand down battery terminals from corrosion..coat both terminal with battery protection spray (crc)..it's the red stuff, that coat and prevent corrosion from forming again..

when problem arrive, i've tried:
remove ground kit>>test>>still there
remove amp power >>test>>still there
remove both ground kit AND amp power and ground >>test>>still there
--thinking it might be rca ground loop noise, i unplug the rca cable to amp>>test>>still there

amp ground wire placement is on the 10mm bolt holding the seat cushion down..same place i've used before w/out anynoise..

i'm out of option, what do u guys think?? could the battery be going?? or the alternator??
it's just annoying, step on the gas and the whine get a lil louder..

well, thanks for looking..appreciated if u can help..
Old 01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Tedmond

loosk like your Gains are set too high. As for ground connection, make sure the bolt you used or ground location is free of paint and any debri. A bad ground will always cause noise. Is this only when you turn on the headlights?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:28 PM
GSR402LX

^^yes..only when headlights are on..no other time..which got me confused..if it's the gain on the amp, then when i completely remove power to the amp..wouldn't the noise be off when the headlights are on??

went to advance auto parts today and had batt and alt tested..batt is good at 14v..alternator on the other hand might be going bad..the guy said something about the normal test for alt is at 90 something..mine wasn't anywhere near that..i didn't understand what he's talking about..then he said something about the test is on the entire load of the car?? test when everything is going at the same time..i don't know how they do alternator test..
Old 01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Omie
ew n!gg@ u g@y

do you have HIDs installed in the car
Old 01-09-2008, 06:33 PM
GSR402LX

no i don't actually..all lights are stock..i think the alternator could be going bad..
Old 01-11-2008, 08:57 AM
pan7285

Without the headlights on, does it whine if you put the heater, wipers and rear demister on at the same time?

Is the whining coming from your in car speakers or from the sub in the boot?

If its the in car speakers, have you tried removing the head unit from the dash and then trying it to move it away from any possible interference in the dash? (eg hold it in your hand)

If its from the Sub, then (albeit a little drastic...but..) do you have a second wiring kit to wire the sub and amp on the outside of the car?

If this doesn't help then it looks like the alternator is your next (albeit expensive) port of call