Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

anyone remember who built this enclosure (5g Prelude)?

Old 10-14-2002, 02:24 PM
red92s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone remember who built this enclosure (5g Prelude)?

I seem to remember someone from this site built this enclosure, but I cant recall exactly who (Arch, Bass Mech. maybe?):

Well, If the person who built it happens to see this, assuming they are even still around, I was wondering if you knew the approximate volume. I'm doing an identical enclosure in a freinds 5th gen Prelude and was just looking to get an idea of the volume before beginning. Any help much appreciated!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Bass Mechanic

Default Re: anyone remember who built this enclosure (5g Prelude)?

Originally posted by red92s
I seem to remember someone from this site built this enclosure, but I cant recall exactly who (Arch, Bass Mech. maybe?):

Well, If the person who built it happens to see this, assuming they are even still around, I was wondering if you knew the approximate volume. I'm doing an identical enclosure in a freinds 5th gen Prelude and was just looking to get an idea of the volume before beginning. Any help much appreciated!
it was me and that was my old 98 type SH i traded in before i got my Acura TL. some lucky bastard on ebay bought it.

i dont remember the exact volume but if i were to guess i would say 1 cu ft.
it's funny that pic has been floating around the net for some time. about a year ago a guy in denver (70 miles from me) sent me that pic and asked if i might be able to build that box as he had found it online. he about pissed his pants when i told him it was my box. needless to say i did not build another like that is it was a real PITA and i dont really like fiberglass. i ended up building him a real nice single 10 for his 4th gen lude.

i guess if i were to mass produce that box i would probably sell quite a few. show us some pics when your done as i would like to see how close of a replica you come up with.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:17 AM
red92s

I was thinking it was you, but just wasnt positive. . .thanks for the info. I actually built a few 4th gen versions and sold them (posted pics a whiles back). This is my first attempt at a 5th gen one. They really are a PITA to build compared to a standard MDF box, and I think they are even worse than spare tire enclosures (mainly due to the trunk hinges). The one I am working on now is for an IDMAX12, so we are shooting for about 1.3 cu ft. It protrudes a bit farther into the trunk space than yours in an effort go gain a little extra volume, but not as much as this one (built by another 5th gen owner):

He built AROUND the trunk hinge to get extra airspace, and ended up with 1.45 cu ft (measured with water displacement), so I think we are gonna be close to what we need.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:20 AM
Bass Mechanic

I was thinking it was you, but just wasnt positive. . .thanks for the info. I actually built a few 4th gen versions and sold them (posted pics a whiles back). This is my first attempt at a 5th gen one. They really are a PITA to build compared to a standard MDF box, and I think they are even worse than spare tire enclosures (mainly due to the trunk hinges). The one I am working on now is for an IDMAX12, so we are shooting for about 1.3 cu ft. It protrudes a bit farther into the trunk space than yours in an effort go gain a little extra volume, but not as much as this one (built by another 5th gen owner):

He built AROUND the trunk hinge to get extra airspace, and ended up with 1.45 cu ft (measured with water displacement), so I think we are gonna be close to what we need.
looks nice i had to make a recessed place for the hinge as well but i built the box , then cut out the hinge area then glassed a recessed space for the hinge. also i flush mounted the sub because i hate subs that stick out, they look unfinished to me. but looks like you did a good job. also it looks like your box is all fiberglass because it looks like the flat surfaces are curved a little. i used MDF for the front and top the rest was fiberglass.

EDIT: i just noticed you did not build that box so i guess my comment should be directred at who ever made the box in the pic.

BTW i wouldnt worry too much about the volume for the IDMAX considering they flat out lied and made up T/S parameters. i have inside information that they in an attempt to make their subs look good on paper to work well in a smaller box than they actually do. there is no way you can really be sure that the output of the sub in any particular box is exactly what your expecting.
not saying they are bad just that with their T/S parameters you have no way of knowing what exactly you will get for a responce curve. you might as well just build a box and put the sub in and not worry about it.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:30 AM
red92s

That one I posted above isn't mine. . .just one a preludeonline.com owner did. I dont have pics of mine yet. The front on his is actually multiple MDF pieces, with an MDF top and bottom. I think The area around the hinge is all glass though (just to clarify, I did NOT build this one):

The sub on mine IS flush mounted (I also think it looks less like an "afterthought" flushed). I'm also going with an MDF front and top, with a fiberglass recess for the hinge.

EDIT: thanks for the info on the T/S parameters. Has anyone actually bench tested on the determine the actual T/S's (if thats even possible)?
Old 10-15-2002, 09:32 AM
Bass Mechanic

That one I posted above isn't mine. . .just one a preludeonline.com owner did. I dont have pics of mine yet. The front on his is actually multiple MDF pieces, with an MDF top and bottom. I think The area around the hinge is all glass though (just to clarify, I did NOT build this one):

The sub on mine IS flush mounted (I also think it looks less like an "afterthought" flushed). I'm also going with an MDF front and top, with a fiberglass recess for the hinge.

EDIT: thanks for the info on the T/S parameters. Has anyone actually bench tested on the determine the actual T/S's (if thats even possible)?
yes the IDMAX has been tested that is how you determin the T/S parameters. we took apart an IDmax in order to see what it was made of. we tested it and found the parameters to be way off. we determined it is because they wanted to be able to compete with other subs on the market as for having the ability to play in a small box. the parameters we got (i dont have in front of me) would have suggested a much larger box to reach a .707 alignment.
i think ID knows a some people know because it was about 5-6 months ago i had found 2 different parameters for the IDmax 12" sub on their website. one set was published in their PDF doccument and another was a set i found that they had a link to where some less favorable parameters titled as bench tested , or inhouse, somthing to the effect that a test was done on the actual driver itself.
anyway these less favorable parameters mysteriously dissappeared after i pointed it out on the net that they had 2 sets of parameters. and FWIW the less favorable ones were the most accurate. they now have a new sub out and possibly that sub is yet a 3rd set of parameters. i have not tested one as of yet but from what i can tell it is pretty similar.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:08 PM
red92s

Thanks for all the brutally honest info.

BTW: do you sell a single 8 inch Mouse setup (not a power mouse). . .just curious
Old 10-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Bass Mechanic

Thanks for all the brutally honest info.

BTW: do you sell a single 8 inch Mouse setup (not a power mouse). . .just curious
i will have a single 8 very soon. curently i am getting my own integrated amplifiers built to put into the Mouse boxes and in the midst of that project i will be designing a single and dual 6, 8, 10(already have that ), 12
the amps will be 200, 400, 800, 1600 watts and in 4 different colors.

my plan with the 8 is i wanna kick the snot out of the infinity bass link by making a better system in the same or similar space.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:43 PM
red92s

sounds awsome, I'll check here and your site for updates. Thanks again.