Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

I hear the whine and noise from the system I installed

Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hear the whine and noise from the system I installed

The car whines when I hit the gas, and has a slight buzz when it's on without the car being started.

Ok... Here's my set up.

Pioneer DEH P390MP

Polk DB6501 in the front
Polk DB6525 in the rear
Pyramid 100x4

Pioneer 1000watt 12" sub
Sony 1000watt amp

I ran a grounding kit from ebay before I installed all of this. The ring sits atop the neg post.

1 from the neg post to the chassis
1 from the ring to the tranny
1 from the ring to the dizzy (one of two top bolts)
1 from the ring to the radiator neck (block)
1 from the radiator support to intake manifold

The amps are both grounded to where the back seats on a 92 Civic bolt up to. I got my dremel with sandpaper attachment and took that spot to bare metal. By the way, I'm using Monster Cable 400watt 4 channel kit, and monster 1000watt sub kit. I also took the remote wire from one amp and piggy backed it to the other to run one remote wire to the head unit. I also remembered to run the battery cable and RCA's on separate sides of the vehicle. The distribution box seems ok.

My first trouble shoot after hearing the whine was to take the stereo ground from the harness and go straight to bare metal. No luck. I also changed my spark plug wires which I found were resting on the valve cover and left little burn marks . I hadn't changed them since I got the motor.

Anything else I should check? I ran the RCA's up driver side. Do you think them being so close to the underdash fuse box could cause the whine?

With the current issue, I haven't really tweaked anything, but the system sounds GREAT!!!! I've never installed anything on this level, so I'm pretty happy despite the grounding set-back. Plus, this is fun. I'm going through a somewhat mid-life thing and feel the need some bumps h:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ground.jpg (31.2 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Chefboiali; 08-19-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:46 PM
b00gers

-How did you set the gains when you tuned the amp? If this isnt done right, you could possibly have the gain or input sensitivity too high. You could be picking up more noise than it needs to. Try lowering it. Kinda a cheating way to do it...but :uhhok:

-Try moving the ground on the amp? Pick another location and see if that makes a difference.

-Hate to say it, but it can also be your Pyramid amp. They arent known for making the best amps :uhhok:
Old 08-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by b00gers
-How did you set the gains when you tuned the amp? If this isnt done right, you could possibly have the gain or input sensitivity too high. You could be picking up more noise than it needs to. Try lowering it. Kinda a cheating way to do it...but :uhhok:

-Try moving the ground on the amp? Pick another location and see if that makes a difference.

-Hate to say it, but it can also be your Pyramid amp. They arent known for making the best amps :uhhok:
I know. It's a shit amp. lol, but I got a good deal on it, and I needed something cheap. I decided to go back to college on a whim, so I couldn't justify the high-dollar 100x4 Alpine that I'm gonna eventually go with.

As for your other suggestion, I'm going lower everything and start from there. I was very conservative when I turned up the gains, but I think they may be too high. Thanks Will.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Well... After setting everything back to zero, I started the car. The noise was still there. But something cool happened. When I turned the car off, but kept the radio on, the noise went away. I had absolutely NO NOISE. No crackling, just pour nice sound. So.... Tomorrow, I'll try a different grounding spot for the amps. I have a bunch of wire and connectors. What's the smallest gauge wire you'd use for a homemade ground wire?

Thanks again, Will.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
b00gers

:chuckles:

Noise only comes in when the engine is on....hence...engine noise.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:11 PM
b00gers

What are you making the wires from? Ground wire should be short and the same gauge or thicker than the power wire. I wouldnt go lower than 8 gauge though.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

:chuckles:

Noise only comes in when the engine is on....hence...engine noise.
:doh:

h:

What are you making the wires from? Ground wire should be short and the same gauge or thicker than the power wire. I wouldnt go lower than 8 gauge though.
Ok.

I have Monster 8 gauge wire. I picked up some here and there.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

I made the grounds elsewhere, and ran the remote wire up the center of the car, and I still have the whine. It's lower than before,but still there. I'm thinking Will's right about the amp, but I'm willing to keep troubleshooting. Anything else to consider?

School starts this week, and I need books, and not a new amp.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

I found this link. It was pretty useful.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/noise.html
Old 08-21-2007, 05:55 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Chefboiali
I made the grounds elsewhere, and ran the remote wire up the center of the car, and I still have the whine. It's lower than before,but still there. I'm thinking Will's right about the amp, but I'm willing to keep troubleshooting. Anything else to consider?

School starts this week, and I need books, and not a new amp.
Dont have a friend with a good amp to borrow? Itll help with narrowing it down.