Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   I keep blowing a fuse (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/27237-i-keep-blowing-a-fuse.html)

polycrx 10-11-2002 07:37 AM

I keep blowing a fuse

I had a 1000 amp running a jl audio w6. I have the amp running at about 3/4 strength. Long story short I blew out the w6 since it's only 600 watt. So I got a new sub, a pheonix gold titainium. I was told it was 800 watts and it's a dual coil. So I put it in, sounds nice and everything but the fuse thats in between the battery and the amp keeps blowing. It's a regular 30 amp fuse that probably shouldn't be run on that amp should I ungrade the fuse box to somthing better.

BUMPIN' 4 U 10-11-2002 07:49 AM

What is the size of your power wire ? I suggest using a 4 gauge wire or 1 gauge and use a 60 amp fuse. That should work fine.:)

Cashis EG8 10-11-2002 08:28 AM

Yeah, a 30 amp fuse sounds like you're running 10 or 8 gauge. You'll need at least 6 gauge, but 4 gauge would be a lot better and run a 60 amp fuse on it.

LjN_728 10-11-2002 10:11 AM

What are the exact specs of the amp? Before you go using wutever guage cables u got, you have to calculate it accordingly. Because you say your amp's running at 1000w, i'd strongly reccommend you using a 2 guage. Better yet...just go buy a whole new amp kit. When looking at the kit, it'll label how many watts it's for. That way you don't have to worry about which amp fuse u have to use.

SumAccordGuy94 10-11-2002 11:25 AM

if you say its a 1000 watt amp... that probably means its really 500 watts RMS... 1000 watts being the peak power... manufacturers always put the peak power on the face of the amp to make it seem more powerful.

What wire gauge are you running now? What kind of amp is it?

For a 500 watt RMS amp i'd recomend 4 gauge with a 80 amp fuse... all the fuse is doing is protecting the wire... if a 4 gauge wire grounds out, it'll blow an 80 amp fuse real quick! A 60 amp fuse may restrict the power flow to the amp a little too much... especially a sub amp that is played loud.

2 and 1 gauge is overkill... nothing thats needed. you only need that stuff when you're running multiple high power amps.

polycrx 10-14-2002 07:45 AM

hey it worked

when I checked out the first response I thought back and a got a 60 amp fuse. It worked great. I had to lower the amp considerably. I guess the 30 amp fuse was being a bottleneck.

Now my only problem is that it drains the battery alot. What should i do to remedy the situation. The car is a 89 crx with a b16. But my battery is duracell sized, so every time I put the volume above 20 (kenwood headunit)my lites do a strobe effect with the bass. What can i do.

b00gers 10-14-2002 09:43 AM

be sure that fuse isnt too big...post the specs of that amp.

also to solve that dimming problem, you can upgrade and replace the alternator to a higher power one, have the stock one rewound, or get a 1 farad cap. some people say a cap is worthless, others say it solves their problems..

in my experience, the cap in my car did what it was suppose to do.

Cashis EG8 10-14-2002 10:56 AM

What gauge wire are you running? If you are running 8ga wire, the 60amp fuse isn't going to protect you too well if something shorts or if the amp is drawing too much current from the 8ga wire.

Blckaccord98 10-15-2002 09:42 PM

Check the ground