Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Suggestions for LOW BUDGET audio install

Old 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
coachp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for LOW BUDGET audio install

Posting for my son (in high school, minimal cash, using what parts he has available), so ...

I pulled form a boat I bought:

- Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a
- Alpine MRV-F307
- 2 10" Fosgate RFZ2410 (200w) sub woofers

He has a stock Honda 2001 Civic, AM/FM/Cassette (yes Cassette). He build a box for both woofers in wood shop.

His plan is to use the Alpine and 2 subs with existing radio (mostly uses iPod via connector anyway). Will the Civic stereo work with this setup?

He doesn't want to spend any more money on the thing, so we are trying to make it "work".

Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:13 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

He'll have to use the high level inputs on the amp to make it work with his exsisting radio, that is if it has them which it should.

That's not a half bad amp by the way
Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 AM
InfoAudio01

you can use the high level inputs as suggested by totalimmortal. if you pulled the wires that where used for the amps from the boat, make sure they are long enough for the civic. take into consideration that the wire wont run a straight path from your battery under the hood to the rear of the vehicle where you mount your amp, so a power cable about 15-17 ft is recommended, ground you want as short as possible and it needs to be the same size or larger in diameter than the power wire. remote wire also about 15-17 ft in lenght. what kind of radio was it hooked up in the boat? if it was aftermarket with 3 pre-outs, I would suggest using that in the civic. All that would be needed in a dashkit (10-20 bucks) and a civic harness (also 10-20 bucks). if you use the high-level inputs on both amps, you will be pulling the signal from the 4 outputs (stock speakers) to 6 inputs (4 channels for the alpine amp and 2 channels for the rockford fosgate amp), which means you will be spliting the signal and a high-level signal is not the cleanest route to take in the first place.

my suggestion is to have some patience...save alittle money and go out and shop for a cheap radio that has 3 pre-outs and buy a 4-channel rca and 2-channel rca, both about 15-17ft in length. you will then need the dash kit and harness. one other thing i would suggest is replacing your 6 year old stock speakers with some medium grade coaxles for about 60-80 bucks a pair. dont forget you will need wires for your amps which will run about 100 bucks or so.

all in all, you get what you pay for in car audio...if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:07 PM
3lo

stock radio dont have sub outputs, sound will be not as good as from aftermarket deck. check ebay, they have nice pioneer decks for 200$

also check alpine website thet had a promotion, a 10" sub in a box and amp for 200$ (if not mistaken)

Last edited by 3lo; 03-24-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:44 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I believe he said he didn't want to dump any money into this
Old 03-26-2007, 07:20 AM
dleccord

Buy yourself a LOC.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 AM
InfoAudio01