Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   sealed or ported (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/265541-sealed-or-ported.html)

JIMMY YAYO 03-14-2007 08:59 AM

sealed or ported

what do you guys prefer sealed box or a ported one.....my car is at future shop now getting to tens and a 1000w amp installed just wondering if it will sound good?

b00gers 03-14-2007 09:03 AM

I prefer ported/vented.

Either way, get it built right, or it will sound like shit.

mr22na 03-14-2007 02:38 PM

i like bandpass boxes, but only in hatch backs. if its in a closed off trunk i like sealed.

totalimmortal 03-14-2007 06:30 PM

I've had both, I can say I enjoy the accuracy of my sealed box. Most mass market ported boxes just don't compliment most subs well.

mr22na 03-15-2007 08:32 AM

what sealed box are you using>??? any pics

b00gers 03-15-2007 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by totalimmortal (Post 3417723)
I've had both, I can say I enjoy the accuracy of my sealed box. Most mass market ported boxes just don't compliment most subs well.

Yea, its hard to produce a generic ported box. I would never use one. However, with sealed boxes...generic boxes are much easier.

Originally Posted by mr22na (Post 3418219)
what sealed box are you using>??? any pics

:thinking: I am pretty sure its just a box that encloses the speaker :thinking: What do you mean what sealed box people are using? Theres no special design or anything.

mr22na 03-15-2007 11:10 AM

:thinking: I am pretty sure its just a box that encloses the speaker :thinking: What do you mean what sealed box people are using? Theres no special design or anything.[/QUOTE]

sure there are...carpet box, sledghammer, im sure theres more.
i asked for pics because i was wondering if he built his own box or just used a CC or BB generic one.

scotttharobot 03-15-2007 11:13 AM

I have had both... and they both deserve their place. If money was super tight and I was going for SPL, i'd rock a ported box in a heartbeat. But, I'd much rather have a set of decent woofers sealed (or IB) that could satisfy great SQ and good output.

Shallow_Bay 03-15-2007 02:57 PM

hes right, going with a ported box is taking a gamble at how its going to sound. there are shops that make ported boxes damn well and suit them to whichever sub you might have. sealed on the other hand, is a lot more simple to work with and in my opinion, sounds just a hell of alot better.

InfoAudio01 03-16-2007 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by totalimmortal (Post 3417723)

I agree.

In another aspect, certain subs are built for vented enclosures and some built for sealed. It depends alot on the thiele-small parameters of a sub. Some subs can be mounted in either box design. Do some research about the subs that you are getting installed, and have a reputable shop build a box that is suited for your vehicle/sub.

On the other hand, in most cases, a sealed box usually yields a better quality/accurate sound, where as a vented (ported) box yields better spl.