Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Mounting sub enclosure in a 6th Gen

Old 02-02-2007, 04:40 PM
dieneverknowing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting sub enclosure in a 6th Gen

Hey guys, I did some searching but didn't really find what I was looking for.

I have a 6th gen coupe that I'm wanting to put in a single 10" sub, but I want to mount the box to the car so it won't move around as well making it harder for theives to take. I also want to keep the box small/just big enough because I still use my trunk for other things. I've heard of "L" brackets or bolts being used, but I'd like to hear from those who have done this and what they've used for doing this and what works best. My biggest thing is that I'm not 100% sure where it's safe to drill or bolt around in my trunk.

ANY input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:29 PM
b00gers

THere are tons of ways to do this.

-Good velcro can hold down the box, but doesnt do much for security.

-You can use L brackets and screw them down into the floorboard. Drawbacks are that you have to drill holes into your box, and also the floorboard is thin and weak. You can fix this by replacing the floorboard with some .5" plywood or something. Use the original floorboard as a template.

-A very secure way to do this is to bolt the box from the inside into your trunk. Take the subwoofer out, and put a bolt on the inside of the box into the floorboard or chassis of the car. This way is more difficult, but it will be a a pain for a theif to steal...or you if you ever need to take it out.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:25 AM
dieneverknowing

Thanks for the info.

I guess my real issue is security. I really don't see me taking the box out in the future for any reason, but I'm sure once I fixed it in there I'd need to take it out for something stupid.

Where would you recommend for placing the bolt if I went with that last option? I know the gas tank is close but I'm not sure how close, or if there will be issues with anything else that I might not see. Also, I've heard bolting down is the only way insurance will cover replacements but I'm not sure exactly how true that is.

Thanks again