Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

attempted to install amp, car wont start now

Old 01-27-2007, 07:57 PM
oem_cd5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attempted to install amp, car wont start now

i tried to install an amp into my 1994 accord. i thought it would be a fairly difficult easy task but it didnt end well. i began by disconnecting the negative terminal of course. then i crimped a ring terminal onto the amp/primary/red wire and then screwed that onto the positive terminal on the battery. i ran the wire into the car through an exisiting hole/grommet on the driver's side of the firewall. it was right around the clutch area. i ran the amp wire to the trunk and connected it to the amp. next was connecting the cra cable to the head unit. i moved some of the carpet to gain access to the backside of the center console. it was to no avail because there were all kinds of stuff in the way. i then took of the console above the parking brake and the trim atop the shifter off. this gave me a better vision than my first atempt; however, i was still unable to do anything because it was to stuffy. i made a discovery though. i turns out that the previous owner had some type of amp instaled and it was lodged behind the head unit. at this poitn i didn't want to tamper with anything so stopped there. i wanted to know if my car was still able to start or not so i left everything as it was [the amp wire still screwed in and the center console stuff (cigarette lighter, emergency lights) still disconnected] and out the negative terminal back on. this was done a day later, so the negative terminal was disconnected for about a day if that matters. i turned the key and heard nothing except some clicking noises if one would call it that. then i took everything off and returned everything to how it was before i tampered with them. i got the same result. the only lights i saw on the cluster were the seatbelt, parking brake, oil, and battery. the battery seems to work because when i opened the door the interior light came on. does anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 11:24 PM
b00gers

Did you try jumping the battery? Maybe it is too drained to start the car, but has enough juice to turn the lights on.

Also, you might want to plug everything back in. You want to put the car back the way it was when you knew everything was working right.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:43 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Did you check your fuses??
Old 01-28-2007, 11:45 AM
oem_cd5

yea i returned everything back to the way it was.

i don't know too much about checking fuses. how do i go about doing that and are you talking about the fuses in the engine bay or the ones inside the car right around the clutch area.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:31 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by oem_cd5
yea i returned everything back to the way it was.

i don't know too much about checking fuses. how do i go about doing that and are you talking about the fuses in the engine bay or the ones inside the car right around the clutch area.
Both.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:17 PM
lufkintravis

Watch the dome light when you try to crank it. Does the dome light go out or dim (should dim a little bit, but not much)? If so, either something has drained the battery and you need a jump or you need to recheck your battery terminals because one of them is not making a good connection... try to twist the terminals on the post; you shouldn't be able to move them. If you can, they're too loose on the post. If not, take them off and look for corrosion or see if they need to be cleaned. Posts may need to be cleaned too.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Dirtball
2.FAST.4.U.

I had a problem like this once, my brother put my battery in the wrong way and when i went to start it we blew a fuse under the hood.Everything worked it just wouldnt start so i would say what totalimmortal said and check your fuses.