Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

to crossover or not to crossover

Old 01-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Gigure
lowbucks racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to crossover or not to crossover

i'm a beginer here and have a few questions.
i plan on doing up my crx with custom audio, i can fabricate everything i need, but i have two amps a 600w/4ch rms and a 1000w/2ch rms, and i have an active crossover, i plan on putting up two speakers (mid/low) in either door and another mid in the kicks, and.. tweeters into the pillars and possibly into the doors, now here is the question, from my deck to my active crosser to each amplifier, one(1000w) for my subs that will be in the hatch area, and the other 4 channel for the other speakers but now that the active crossover only splits high/lows, and sub, can i use a passive crossover into the door?
what would be better? i like loud and clear, but i also wana shake the rust off my car, could i splitt my sub ch and use it for my lows in my doors, my active crossover has front rear and sub in and has l/r sub out and has 2-L/R highs and 2-L/R lows out that's 6 channels of audio out, for those counting, would i also be better off getting another 4ch amp? for the speakers in the kicks and the tweeters in the pillars.

and if that ain't enough i got some more questions later....
Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 AM
dleccord

can you possibly be more clear on the amps you are using, 600w/4ch rms and a 1000w/2ch rms? from what i've read, your gonna need a real active crossover[4way?] to run all those speakers correctly and if you dont, it's gonna sound like arse.

give us the equipment your working with so we can help.

Last edited by dleccord; 01-16-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Gigure
lowbucks racer

one amp has 4 channels and does 600 watts, that's 150 watts per channel.
the other amp is 2 channel 1000 watts, that's 500 watts per channel
yes it's a real active crossover, sony xec-1000, one amp is a pyramid gold serries pb-600, the subs are from rockford fosgate i havent done anything yet so if you sujest i get sifferent amps or crossovers give me model names and etc...
Old 01-16-2007, 04:53 PM
97teg

Yeah list all the equipment you plan to use and that will give a lot better idea of what possible combinations are possible. Just to be clear you want a pair of midbasses in each door a midrange in kicks and possibly two pairs of tweeters? If you run one mid and one midbass in the door with another mid in a kick and two pairs of tweeters its going to be a huge pain to tune for many reasons. It does not sound like a good place to start.

You could highpass at say 600 hz or so and then go to a passive to the mids and tweeters. You would not be able to add a second set of tweeters unless the x over is designed for it though.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Gigure
lowbucks racer

thanks for the info, did a layout on my door and figured out that it wouldn't look good to add mid and mid bass to my doors so i'll do min and tweeter in door and mid bass in kick, and on what you said i can split my high pass with another passive crossover? keeping just one tweeter on each side?
what passive crossover is good for this?
and yeah my x-over has 4 channels for high pass that's 2 for left and two for the right, and it has 4 channels for low(not sub)pass that 2 for left and two for right. yeah it is a weird setup but i figured it was front high/low pass, rear high/low pass and sub
Old 01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
dleccord

if you need to use a passive crossover, do so with the midrange and tweets and high pass them where you want them to. use your active crossover to lowpass the frequency you want your midbass to play from and high pass that at the amp. not sure if im making sense. pretty tired right now.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 PM
97teg

Id do the mid in the kick and the midbass in the door. The mid will benefit most from the cutting down on the difference in distance between the each mid and your head. This is known as path length difference. It will also benefit as being more on axis depending on how high you run them. If the mid is smaller, something like 4" or smaller being on axis isn't as important. The midbass will work better in the door because it will be hard to get the needed airspace without the kicks being huge.

The way you describe it i would set it up like dleccord suggested. Are you running any kind of eq?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:46 PM
rcurley55

Originally Posted by 97teg
Id do the mid in the kick and the midbass in the door. The mid will benefit most from the cutting down on the difference in distance between the each mid and your head. This is known as path length difference. It will also benefit as being more on axis depending on how high you run them. If the mid is smaller, something like 4" or smaller being on axis isn't as important. The midbass will work better in the door because it will be hard to get the needed airspace without the kicks being huge.

The way you describe it i would set it up like dleccord suggested. Are you running any kind of eq?
this would be my recommendation - however, on v. off axis depends on the driver, not just the driver's size. Some tweeters are horrible on axis (like a scan rev ring radiator) while some sound damn near the same on as off (like a hiquphon).

Remember, it's not just the path length different that matters - if that was true, I'd put the two speakers next to each other and they would have the same path lenght, and my pld would be zero. You got to get them as far away from you as possible - that's the goal. Put the midrange in the kicks if you care at all about imaging and staging.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:47 PM
97teg

My question is that if your only hoping for a loud and clear system isnt this all a bit overkill? Not to sound like an jerk but Im wondering why you feel this complex of a system is necessary. Are you trying to cram all this stuff in just to get loud? Is it a show car? Are you planning to get into sq competitions or just want it to keep up with the subs? Also pyramid isnt a very good brand. Give a better idea of what your looking for and how much you want to spend, how much space your will to compromise esp in the front of the car. That will give a much better path to get you what you are looking for.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Gigure
lowbucks racer

more of an enthusiast than anything else, no not sq comp but want an awesome looking setup, and yeah want to keep up to the subs, call me somewhat DEAF, and I'm taking my time buying stuff so price isn't a BIG issue, space isn't an issue either it isn't a daily driver, more of a going out to party.. call it my 27... mid life crisis.. but mids in kicks sounds good but that would be an extra 2 wires to run through the door,,because i would want the mids and tweeters on a passive crossover?. putting mid-bass in door and tweeter in door that would be 4 wires.. not that it's a problem but i'll be running 14 wires that wern't there before.. 86 crx,, did power windows, locks, and power mirrors that all wern't there b4. but i must agree mid-bass and bass are kinda a place anywhere. but what about the tweeter? shouldn't they be placed facing the driver? and if i want a crisper sound wouldn't it be better to have 4 tweeters? 2-doors, 2-pillars?