Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

wiring dual battery set up

Old 12-03-2006, 07:48 PM
qazxswed345

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring dual battery set up

how exactly do i go about wiring two baterys together so that i can get a little extra power for my amp or any ideas besides a capacitor purley because i dont think just the cap alone would fix my problem... but my lights dim so much there almost off and what not also i want to make sure that the spare batery would also reecieve some charge... will that work or will it like overwork my alternator i appriciate any ideas thanks for ur time
Old 12-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a second battery may help for a while.... but when you run your system for an extended time, the 2nd battery will also die out and your tiny alt will have a tough time to recharge them both.

Last edited by Misa; 12-04-2006 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:44 AM
flyromeo3

Unless your running a massive audio system than there is no need for an addtional battery.
If you do go that route, you will need to purchase a bigger alternator.

you can purchase a larger alternator without the extra battery which you really dont need.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:45 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

How old is the car?? Original Alt.???
What's your setup???

Im allmost afraid to ask
Old 12-04-2006, 07:17 PM
qazxswed345

87 accord ... ok laugh it up guys... lol nah but i dont think u can get like a high performance alternator for my car im gettn a new one but i just dont like the headlight dimming and i have a crappy pioneer 760 watt amp (upgrading in like 2 weeks) and 2 12 in infinity subs dual coil running on a 4 ohm setup and it just seems to draw way too much power even with the volume not that high up
Old 12-05-2006, 10:26 AM
wrx-killer
wrx-killer-Sti eater

First you need to check a couple of things. Look at the condition of your stock battery. Check the connections and the battery wires. Make sure all the grounds are good on the block and tranny. Also have the alternator tested. And yes they have up grades for your car. Look into doing the big three. This will help out alot. Adding a second battery is not hard but won't do anything if there is something else wrong. It will only make things worse.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:23 AM
dleccord

Originally Posted by qazxswed345
how exactly do i go about wiring two baterys together so that i can get a little extra power for my amp or any ideas besides a capacitor purley because i dont think just the cap alone would fix my problem... but my lights dim so much there almost off and what not also i want to make sure that the spare batery would also reecieve some charge... will that work or will it like overwork my alternator i appriciate any ideas thanks for ur time
To wire two batteries together, you would want to wire them in parallel: positive to positive, negative to negative.

Personally, to reduce dimmings, I would replace stock battery terminals with some nice ones, do the Big 3, and upgrade your current battery to the largest size that would fit under the hood or where ever the place may be. I've ran more than twice the power of what you're running with an 80amp alternator and haven't had any problems yet.

Of course, this is a fix for limited time plays but if you go full tilt continuously, a high output alternator is a better choice for you. You can add more if needed as well.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:38 PM
wrx-killer
wrx-killer-Sti eater

^^^^^^ I have to strongly disagree to how you wired up that second battery. The way you have it will kill the alternator in heartbeat or a day or so. I see this all the time. Its correct because its parallel but not because of the load. If you are going to run a second battery you are going to need a battery isolater. Like this one http://tsunamionline.com/product.php?id=480 .
This unit keeps each battery seperated so they can do there job right. Your car battery will operate the car and the second battery will operate the soundsystem. They will not cross talk. So if you drain the soundsystem battery it will not drain the car battery. And it will charge the weak battery first. This keeps the alternator cool and under less pressure. If you would of did it the other way you would need to have two of the same batteries. With the same cca, and they would have to be matched. Which means they would have to be of the same condition ie. age or close to the same voltage. This is because the alternator might charge one battery to much when the other is not full charge. Then your full charge battery will bust or fail. Adding a high amp alternator is really not going to solve the problem because first most don't provide power at idel or hold 12-14 volts at idel. One way you can fix that problem is dropping to a smaller pulley or have the company wrapp it so it puts out power at idel. Do not try to run a soundsystem of the alternator. It just plain won't work and you will burn it up. If you go with a alternator make sure you go with a better battery .
Old 12-14-2006, 09:47 AM
dleccord

Originally Posted by wrx-killer
^^^^^^ I have to strongly disagree to how you wired up that second battery. The way you have it will kill the alternator in heartbeat or a day or so. I see this all the time. Its correct because its parallel but not because of the load. If you are going to run a second battery you are going to need a battery isolater. Like this one http://tsunamionline.com/product.php?id=480 .
This unit keeps each battery seperated so they can do there job right. Your car battery will operate the car and the second battery will operate the soundsystem. They will not cross talk. So if you drain the soundsystem battery it will not drain the car battery. And it will charge the weak battery first. This keeps the alternator cool and under less pressure. If you would of did it the other way you would need to have two of the same batteries. With the same cca, and they would have to be matched. Which means they would have to be of the same condition ie. age or close to the same voltage. This is because the alternator might charge one battery to much when the other is not full charge. Then your full charge battery will bust or fail. Adding a high amp alternator is really not going to solve the problem because first most don't provide power at idel or hold 12-14 volts at idel. One way you can fix that problem is dropping to a smaller pulley or have the company wrapp it so it puts out power at idel. Do not try to run a soundsystem of the alternator. It just plain won't work and you will burn it up. If you go with a alternator make sure you go with a better battery .

Sorry for not being clear. Batteries of the same make, model, brand, will NOT drain each other.

My alternator is fine, thanks: has never failed me over the past 6 months of normal usage and running thus power.

Assuming the OP doesnt play his system with his car off, there's no point of having an isolator. Obviously, he needs more juice. Buy the exact same battery and you won't have a problem. Or you can go with a Kinetic 800. They wont drain each other out either way.

Originally Posted by wrx-killer
This is because the alternator might charge one battery to much when the other is not full charge. Then your full charge battery will bust or fail.
And this has happened to you before?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:41 AM
adk683

i have a bigger system and have the problem u do but not as bad but it draws down idel every time it hits so new bigger batt would help but what about cap which is better or both? but i definently want to stay away from alt.