Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Thoughts/Opinions on amp

Old 09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts/Opinions on amp

I'm getting a good deal on this amp that I would like to power two 10" 2ohm DVC Type R subs with:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...odel=MRD-M1005

Anyone have this that can tell me anything about the amp or this setup?

Last edited by Hondaman; 09-19-2006 at 06:02 PM. Reason: More info included
Old 09-19-2006, 08:32 PM
dleccord

the subs are koo. that amp aint. i reccomend this amp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Directed-24...QQcmdZViewItem

wire them to 2 ohms and wang away.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:31 PM
b00gers

How good of a deal?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:12 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

Originally Posted by dleccord
the subs are koo. that amp aint. i reccomend this amp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Directed-24...QQcmdZViewItem

wire them to 2 ohms and wang away.

no no no, don't wire them into 2 ohms! supposing that that amp will really put out 2400 rms at 2 ohms, then the subs would be splitting 2400watts. so that means each sub will get 1200watts, the subs are rated at 500 rms and 1500 max. if you put the subs on that amp in two ohms, it will quickly blow them, not right away but will soon destroy them.

the alpine amp he wants to put on them, supposing the subs are dvc 4ohm a coil, so wired in parallel it would be 2 ohm put the two subs in parallel together then they will be 1ohm that alpine amp can't handle a 1ohm load.
it is stable at 2 ohm.

now the directed amp can put out 1400rms a 4 ohm, if you get that amp wire the subs so that the coils on one sub are ran in a series, and the other sub also. this will make each sub a 8ohm then run each sub in parallel and hook it up to the amp, this will bring the load to a 4ohm load and work perfect for the type r's

if anyone sees something wrong with what i said just let me know
Old 09-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Omie
ew n!gg@ u g@y

do 2 of those alpine amp 1 per itll knock like a motha
Old 09-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally Posted by b00gers
How good of a deal?
About $350. The amp is new and comes with a full warranty. Retail is about $550.

Originally Posted by burnrubber
no no no, don't wire them into 2 ohms! supposing that that amp will really put out 2400 rms at 2 ohms, then the subs would be splitting 2400watts. so that means each sub will get 1200watts, the subs are rated at 500 rms and 1500 max. if you put the subs on that amp in two ohms, it will quickly blow them, not right away but will soon destroy them.

the alpine amp he wants to put on them, supposing the subs are dvc 4ohm a coil, so wired in parallel it would be 2 ohm put the two subs in parallel together then they will be 1ohm that alpine amp can't handle a 1ohm load.
it is stable at 2 ohm.

now the directed amp can put out 1400rms a 4 ohm, if you get that amp wire the subs so that the coils on one sub are ran in a series, and the other sub also. this will make each sub a 8ohm then run each sub in parallel and hook it up to the amp, this will bring the load to a 4ohm load and work perfect for the type r's

I was thinking about two dvc 2ohm subs and wiring them both as a 2ohm load. That way the subs would see about 1000 watts.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:00 PM
97teg

Its not really a matter of how much the amp is capable of. Its more of a question of the amount of power you actually need to get as loud as you want it. If hes normal listening level requires less then 500 watts the subs will be fine and last as long as they normally would. If the sustained levels require more then 500 watts then it may cause the subs to blow. In that case the only way to get more volume without blowing stuff up is more speakers to distribute the power.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:19 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

dual 2 ohm will work great for that amp
Old 09-20-2006, 09:35 PM
scotttharobot
beer here

Originally Posted by Hondaman
About $350. The amp is new and comes with a full warranty. Retail is about $550.

I was thinking about two dvc 2ohm subs and wiring them both as a 2ohm load. That way the subs would see about 1000 watts.
How is that a deal?

Just go pick up a NINe.1 from eD (www.elementaldesigns.com), which will do about 1450 @ 1 ohm, 1000@ 2, and 800@ 4ohms for $350, with a three-year warranty.

Extremely solid, reliable, underrated amp. I had one for 2 years (until it was stolen), and that amp went through some hell, and just kept ticking. And, if anything went wrong with it, it has a 3 year transferrable warranty that is very solid.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:07 PM
dleccord

it is stable at 2 ohm.

reading from the first thread, he has 2 dvc 2ohms. he can wire it down to .5, 2, or 8ohms, so i dont know what you are talking about at 1ohm.

get your shit right. if you have never had any experience with these subs then dont talk at all. they will take 1000+ each, yes each 10, provided that you set the gains accordingly, sending unclipped signals. sending each sub 500watts will not do them any justice. seriously.

Last edited by dleccord; 09-20-2006 at 10:17 PM. Reason: sp>me