Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Is it illegal to play dvds on lcd screen while driving??help

Old 09-18-2006, 02:40 PM
peterok29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it illegal to play dvds on lcd screen while driving??help

hi guys real quick question here.i recently read a post from someone on another site.he was saying how he was scared cause he was playign a dvd movie on his lcd screen in his car while driving and there was a cop behind him.is it illegal to play a dvd on an lcd screen in a car while driving??what about if i was listening to an audi cd and the screen was on but only had a menu on it??im confused i know you guys would know the real deal,thanxxx
Old 09-18-2006, 04:02 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on the location of the screen that is playing the dvd. I can almost say that as long as the driver cannot see it (be distracted), then it is fine. That is why alot of minivans have "backseat" entertainment dvd players. As for the cd and screen being on thing, there's no problem with that at all.. as far as I know.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:21 PM
peterok29

thanx unforfgiven,im in pa too,i do alot of driving in nyc also.im thinking about mounting a 7 inch universal lcd screen in my dash,almost stock like in the dash.not a flip up so not its higher up.i will definitely be able to view it while driving,you think it would be a problem??
Old 09-18-2006, 05:58 PM
b00gers

If the screen is in the driver's view, then I think it is illegal in most places. Plus, from a safety perspective, its not really such a wise thing to do.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

The laws vary from state to state, but most states have laws to the effect of not allowing full-motion video within the driver's field of vision while the car is in motion.

Here's an example of the law for California - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27602.htm.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:07 AM
peterok29

thats excellent arfboy,much appreciated thanxxx