Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alpine or JVC HU....

Old 08-12-2006, 10:28 AM
pinealean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine or JVC HU....

I've decided to upgrade my headunit. I am looking at the Alpine CDA-9856
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VtLxbyk...=300&s=0&cc=01
And the JVC KD-HDR1 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HfkhlAl...r1&i=257KDHDR1
Crutchfield has the JVC on sale for the same price as the Alpine. If you all had to choose between the two of these, which would it be and why? I don't know much about the new HU's, so if anyone has comments or experience with these decks and would share some info that would be great. TIA

It will be going into a 98 GSR if that matters.

Last edited by pinealean; 08-12-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:51 AM
niqtorious

i got that same head unit at best buy for 120
Old 08-12-2006, 11:59 AM
pinealean

Really? The JVC? I called them and they said that it's not an in stock unit and it would come from the warehouse at $299. Every place I have called has quoted me $299 except Crutchfield.
Anyways, how do you like the deck performance?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Shallow_Bay
teh accord guy

they are basically the same thing... the jvc is a tad better, with 2 more watts of rms output and a 2.5v preout. i'd take the jvc.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:57 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

JVC, cause it has higher rms, remote, sub level and frequency, hd built in no add a part to make it work
Old 08-12-2006, 11:56 PM
97teg

A couple of watts is insignificant. The alpine will have better reception though my friend put one in her car and said the recpetion wasnt quite as good as stock but the sound was a lot better. The jvc will be even worse with recpeption. The alpine also has 3 rca outputs which means it should have a sub level and freq.

Personally id take the alpine over jvc any day of the week. Maybe jvc have gotten better though. I heard Eclipse uses a rebadged jvc unit. Or maybe that just how low eclipse has slid. But anyways...
Old 08-13-2006, 09:46 AM
pinealean

Thanks for the opinions guys. I've never owned an alpine, but have always known of them. I used to have a JVC El Kameleon, but it was stolen. I loved that deck for it's aesthetics (all black flat face) and function. Unfortunately, they don't make those anymore. I think the alpine would look better, but I think i'm gonna go with the jvc for the hd and wattage. I didn't want a silver deck because my interior is tan and black. I figure I can at least paint the outer plastic piece that surrounds the face black to match it up.
To be honest, I didn't want to change my hu because I like the stock look and usually aftermarket hu's are not only too fancy and space age looking for my tastes, but also attracts attention. But I need an upgrade from the oem system and i understand that it will make a bigger difference changing the hu rather than the speakers. Hey, thanks for comments again gents.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:16 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

also changing your speakers after changing your hu will improve the sound quality
Old 08-14-2006, 10:04 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Alpine FTW!! I'm sorry, JVC sucks balls now-a-days.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
pinealean

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
Alpine FTW!! I'm sorry, JVC sucks balls now-a-days.
Well, I went with the JVC. I figure for the same price as the alpine I get slightly more power, hd tuner, and familiarity with the controls since i used to have a jvc deck. My el kameleon deck lasted years w/out any problems at all, so I can only hope that their quality hasn't gone down the shi**er as totalimmortal may be suggesting. I purchased through crutchfield. Hopefully installation goes well. Anyone know how the dash kit looks from Crutchfield? I'm wondering if it replaces the cubby space that is under the stock stereo or not. I dont wanna lose that.

Quick Reply: Alpine or JVC HU....