Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Components or 2ways off stock HU..GSR

Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 AM
pinealean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Components or 2ways off stock HU..GSR

I have a 98 GSR that i'm wanting to replace the front speakers in. I don't have the flow to get an aftermarket HU at this time. It probably won't happen for awhile. My questions: would a component system sound better off the factory HU than a 6.5" 2 way speaker with stock tweeter? I'm not sure when I'll get around to replacing the deck...it could be months. I know components should be amped to take full advantage and since I don't have one it kinda seems that maybe just replacing the 6.5"'s in front would make more sense. I need some opinions. TIA
Old 08-10-2006, 09:30 AM
b00gers

Personally, I would do everything at once. The stock HU is weak, it can power a set of comps, but it can sound better with an after market HU, and even 10000x better with a real amp.

I wouldnt go with the 2-way if you already plan on replacing it.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 AM
pinealean

I wouldnt go with the 2-way if you already plan on replacing it.[/QUOTE]

I plan on replacing the HU someday, but it could seriously be a year from now. I just need something now that will sound a bit better than stock, so components will sound as good or better than 2 ways when pushed by the stock HU? And both of them should definately be noticeably better than stock speakers correct? I know without an amp they will be weak, but should be better than stock speakers right?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 PM
dleccord

i say get the 2 way now, it'll sound a whole lot better than the stockies. a year from now is a long ass time and comps will sound like shit off hu power, especially stock hu. then save and get a better hu, comps, and an amp for your comps.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
pinealean

I think that's a good idea. If I do this then I can put the two ways in the back when I upgrade later.
Now I have to decide which 2 way speakers to get. I know that there can be speaker depth issues in the front. Infinity makes a 6012si (i believe) speaker that has shallow mounting. Has anyone ever used these and is there a comprimise in sound quality compared to a "regular" depth speaker? I don't want too much of a hassle when installing, but if reg. depth speakers would sound better then I can cut the basket I suppose. Opinions?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
pinealean

Okay, I need to make a decision. What do you guys think about getting a new headunit instead of 2 front speakers? Will an aftermarket headunit with stock speakers yield better sound than new 2 ways in front with stock HU? As you may have already guessed i'm on an extreme budget, so I can only do one or the other right now. And if the HU is the way to go, could I get some direction to what HU's are solid and don't look overly decorative? I want to keep it as discreet as possible. TIA
Old 08-11-2006, 08:01 PM
dleccord

if you can afford a good headunit, go for it. you do not want to skimp on this one. if not, go with a 2 way and get one when you are ready.

i would go with the headunit first. then the 2 ways. then save and worry about the amp and comps later. that would be an ideal choice, if you're on a budget.