Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

kenwood 7017 & KNA-G510

Old 07-23-2006, 06:21 AM
flyromeo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kenwood 7017 & KNA-G510

I have a question regarding the parking brake wire on both of these units.
For testing purposes do you still ground these wires in order to override the parking brake switch?
You know on most radios you cant watch TV or the Navi while driving?
If you connect the parking wire to a ground it will override that.
Does that still work with this new model radio im about to purchase?
Old 07-23-2006, 11:10 PM
JerryS

It's my understanding that it's just a ground wire and will work if you have it grounded for testing purposes. Or, do what I did... still have the wire connected to the parking brake but have a switch to bypass so that you can override it. Mine is installed on the passenger side so the wife can override and have full access to the GPS while I am driving.

I have the same GPS unit but using the XXV-05V DVD reciever and must say that the KNA-G510 was somewhat of a disappointment compared to Garmin's portable units. Perhaps they will release a firmware update to speed up the unit (drawing map data) and accuracy. Sometimes I would be exiting a highway or road, and it still thinks I'm on the original route until 30 secs later or take 10+ secs to tell me that I've gone the wrong way. The voice guidance is not as accurate too and would tell you to turn way too late. I have the latest firmware uploaded and Kenwood/Garmin have not address these issues yet.

Last edited by JerryS; 07-23-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:17 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by JerryS
It's my understanding that it's just a ground wire and will work if you have it grounded for testing purposes. Or, do what I did... still have the wire connected to the parking brake but have a switch to bypass so that you can override it. Mine is installed on the passenger side so the wife can override and have full access to the GPS while I am driving.

I have the same GPS unit but using the XXV-05V DVD reciever and must say that the KNA-G510 was somewhat of a disappointment compared to Garmin's portable units. Perhaps they will release a firmware update to speed up the unit (drawing map data) and accuracy. Sometimes I would be exiting a highway or road, and it still thinks I'm on the original route until 30 secs later or take 10+ secs to tell me that I've gone the wrong way. The voice guidance is not as accurate too and would tell you to turn way too late. I have the latest firmware uploaded and Kenwood/Garmin have not address these issues yet.

thanks for the input. It does sound like a flook. I wouldnt want to pass my exit and then the navi tells me 2 exits later to exit on the previous one
Old 07-24-2006, 05:42 AM
JerryS

The GPS has some nice features but Kenwood/Garmin needs to fix a few bugs in the unit. And like I said... only at times will it do this. With my experience with Garmin products, they usually will improve this eventually. I think if they make the unit say, for example: Turn Right or Turn Left... Merge Left/Right instead of Turn Right on Mississippi Drive then Keep Left. Too much for the unit to be doing that by the time you pass the "Keep Left" info, you are already in the wrong lane and yet the unit is telling you to "Turn Left on North Pacific Road onto Florida BLVD in 200 feet" already, which you just pass... again. Sounds confusing? Try driving with this unit and you'll find out how.

Last edited by JerryS; 07-24-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 AM
sik-itr

can you tell me where is the parking brake switch located?