Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

not sure if my alarm works the way it's supposed to

Old 07-14-2006, 05:12 AM
oholdeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure if my alarm works the way it's supposed to

I bought a 98 accord lx v6 about a month ago and the alarm goes off if i were to unlock the doors manually and open them. however if i unlock my trunk with my car key the alarm doesn't go off. this doesn't seem right as i have a large chunk of my stereo system in there.

the friend who i bought the car off of told me that there's a lojack installed in there (with a terminated subscription). is there a way for me to rewire the trunk myself or is this some kind of faulty design issue? should i bring it to a lojack provider?

other smaller issues:

my alarm doesn't seem very sensitive either (ie kicking the tires doesn't do much). is that normal?

and the smaller of the two buttons on the remote doesn't seem to do anything.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:13 AM
JerryS

I believe the installed alarm in your vechicle is factory? If that's the cause, they suck. You may want to look into a aftermarket alarm if you are concern about your stereo equipments. As for the lojack, it's up to you... most theives will have your stereo out and abandon your vechicle long before the cops can get to it.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 AM
oholdeno

i think my alarm system is aftermarket since my remote doesn't say honda on it.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:35 AM
JerryS

Oh, okay... The guy you bought the car from, your friend, did he have that alarm installed? As I recall, when I had my Viper alarm installed in my '94 Accord, the shop guy almost had to install a mecury switch in the trunk so that it will trigger the alarm. To save money on the installation, he was able to tap into the trunk sensor to enable that feature, perhaps that's what you will need to do? Either that or use a mecury switch or tap into the trunk sensor. It's my understanding that the sensor of the alarm may not be sensitive enough to detect vibration from the rear if you don't have this trigger installed. To prove this to me, the shop guy had me open my trunk prior to tapping into the trunk sensor. At times, the alarm wouldn't sound if I took my time opening it. To be safe though, I had a mecury switch installed in the hood to protect that area too. Also, as a precaution, I had a backup battery installed as well just incase someone was able to cut the battery cable.

Last edited by JerryS; 07-14-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
oholdeno

yes i believe he had it installed by someone else and not the honda dealership. how much would it cost to have the trunk work with my alarm at an audio & alarm shop?

also, how much would it cost to get a new remote to work with my current alarm system? i'd like to add trunk release and possibly remote start.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:37 AM
JerryS

Well, before you decide to install that trigger in the trunk, you many want to see if that unit will support that. Not all alarm come feature filled. Anyways, I see you want to install a remote start? If that's the case, I would forget about the second remote too. I would be shopping for an alarm that has remote start, more likely it will support the feature I described.

Here, check this one out:

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...roduct_id=1702

or

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...roduct_id=1703

Personally I would pick the two way model (first link). The only thing I dislike about the first unit is that it only comes with one remote. I plan on installing that unit this fall since the old alarm I have is about 7 years old and really should be upgraded since I have added a few extra units to the car and the fact that it lets me know what's going on. Good luck!

Oh yes, I would look around and see how much it would cost to install... it's different in each area. I belive installation for me would be $150 here. If I was to buy and install this unit from a local shop, cheapest price I found was $599.99.

Last edited by JerryS; 07-14-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:00 AM
dmacaalay
Monkey See, Monkey Do!

You can add a mercury switch to pretty much any aftermarket alarm system. All they do is tie it into the same wires as the door triggers or hood pin trigger. It should be cheap also, around $5 for the switch and $35 to install it.