Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Humming Sound From the Boom Box

Old 05-13-2006, 12:05 AM
percyv143

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming Sound From the Boom Box

Hi. I just got a used Acura 2002 RSX and it came with an after market boom box. I noticed that when driving and the radio is off there is a sound coming from the box like a "grounded" sound and its noise/sound starts from soft to becoming loud as if the box will explode but when I turn on the radio the box will sound normal. It sounded like, "hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMM !!!!!" What could be wrong? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:11 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Search and you will be rewarded....
Old 05-13-2006, 04:40 PM
orbit77

you have a ground loop problem. first check if the amp is still on when the radio is off. you probably don't notice the ground loop when the radio is on is b/c its being drowned out. i'm guessing you have a stock head unit and they wired it to the acc wire instead of your pwr ant wire. i can't remember if there's a pwr ant wire on the rsx's if you do than wire your remote wire to it or put a switch inline with the remote wire so you can manually turn it on and off.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:01 PM
percyv143

I had just bought his RSX a few days ago and it went with an aftermarket sub/boom box with the stock radio. I haven't check where they had wired the input signal for the amp and where they had grounded it. I will check the wirings where they had routed the + and ground wires and check if they had used the speaker signal to turn on the amp or is it connected to the ACC. Is the power ant wire is the output that comes out directly from the radio that is supposed to be used to activate / turnon the amp?
If I will replace the stock radio with an aftermarket? How will I remove the stock and if installing a new headunit/radio? How will I disable the radio theft alarm?
I will post back after I check the wirings of the sub and will try also to post pictures. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:06 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad connection sowewhere. by any chance, are you running the audio cables next to the power cable?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 AM
orbit77

i would think they put the line out converter on one of the rear speakers so they rca's to the amp are pretty short.

yeah your power ant wire comes from the radio.

a lil trick i learned so you don't put the radio in theft lock is unplug the radio with the car on, majority of the time it won't go into theft lock if not the dealer can give you the code for the radio. also with a better radio you lower the chance of engine whine and also by upgrading rca's and amp. i don't see a real need to run sub rcas seprately from the power since engine whine is high level noise and you filter that out with your low pass filter.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:27 PM
percyv143

I started checking the wiring and the sub is powered even if the radio is off. I will continue checking the wires.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:45 AM
orbit77

than the wired the remote wire to the acc wire. you can either choose to put a switch inline with the remote wire or you can rewire it to the head unit if it has a power ant wire. i would think putting a switch in would be easier for you to do. you should really find out where it was put in at and have them fix it. most big shops have a lifetime warrenty on workmanship and that was a installer being lazy and did a messy job.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:14 AM
percyv143

I'll check it out witht the previous owner if she was given a warranty. Else I will have to do it myself. Also I am planning to replace the head unit with an aftermarket soon and rewire everything. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:38 PM
mishqua

Originally Posted by orbit77
you have a ground loop problem. first check if the amp is still on when the radio is off. you probably don't notice the ground loop when the radio is on is b/c its being drowned out. i'm guessing you have a stock head unit and they wired it to the acc wire instead of your pwr ant wire. i can't remember if there's a pwr ant wire on the rsx's if you do than wire your remote wire to it or put a switch inline with the remote wire so you can manually turn it on and off.
agreed, go beat the kid with a stick that installed it. let me take a shot at it, the more ya get on the gas the louder it gets?