Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   Converting from coaxial to component (interesting question) (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/22913-converting-from-coaxial-to-component-interesting-question.html)

Ochdx 09-18-2002 07:20 PM

Converting from coaxial to component (interesting question)

Hi all, I'm in need of some advice. First let me list my system spec:

AIWA CDCMP3
Pair of 10" Sony Xplod subs wired to Sony Xplod amp
Four Infinity Kappa 63.3i speaker (two in door panels and two in the rear deck) wires to Alpine amp.

Quality wise I'm very satisfied with this setup, IMO it sounds better that any other setup I've heard. Only thing is it lacks imaging like component systems do. Fortunately, Infinity Kappa speakers are what I call "semi component". They come with a cross over and the tweeter and woofer actually have separate connectors. I was thinking about disconnecting the "internal" tweeters and hooking up a pair of these

What do you guys think? Is it a good idea?

b00gers 09-18-2002 07:35 PM

that link you got up there is ONLY the tweets. where are you going to hook them up to?

IMO, just replace the coax and invest in a complete set of components.

Ochdx 09-18-2002 07:39 PM

Originally posted by WiLL
that link you got up there is ONLY the tweets. where are you going to hook them up to?

IMO, just replace the coax and invest in a complete set of components.

Here's a pic of my speakers. click

It's not showing the connections, but you can see the xover. Anyhow, each speaker has two connections, from the xover to the woofer and to the tweeter. I could disconnect the speakers "internal" tweets and hook the external ones to the xover.

b00gers 09-18-2002 07:51 PM

ahhh i see.

but i still think the best bet is too just get a new comonent set.

arch iceman 09-18-2002 08:02 PM

What is your definition of imaging, or what youre looking for?

Its mainly going to be affected by your speaker locations and placement. If you do get the new tweeters where do you plan to install them? Or are you willing to experiment with thier placement?

If you have the room, time, and budget go with kick panels. ;)

igo4bmx 09-19-2002 08:02 AM

Originally posted by WiLL
ahhh i see.

but i still think the best bet is too just get a new comonent set.

new components indeed,
check out those 3 ways; most have to make a hold in the actual woofer to mount the tweeters, and IMO that ruins any potential for good bass from the woofer.

Ochdx 09-19-2002 08:33 AM

Well, low bass is coming from the subwoofer, and midbass is good from the speakers even though they have the hole for tweeter

igo4bmx 09-19-2002 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Ochdx
Well, low bass is coming from the subwoofer, and midbass is good from the speakers even though they have the hole for tweeter
i understand that, but how is a woofer to play well if there is a huge cut out for tweetes?

cliff note: buy a set of comps like will said

Ochdx 09-19-2002 09:33 AM

Originally posted by arch iceman
What is your definition of imaging, or what youre looking for?

Its mainly going to be affected by your speaker locations and placement. If you do get the new tweeters where do you plan to install them? Or are you willing to experiment with thier placement?

If you have the room, time, and budget go with kick panels. ;)

Well, if you're familiar with civic coupes (92-95), you know that front speakers are mounted in the door panels all the way on the bottom, while the rear speakers are mounted on the rear deck, on about the ear level. what happens is, the tweeter in the front speakers being on the bottom is not heard as well as the one on the rear speakers, and while the overall quality is great, it appears like the sound if coming from the rear. To my knowledge bass is non direction, and its the tweets that make the difference, so i was thinking about installing a pair of tweets on the side mirror panels, like most luxury cars have, I think it would create a nice balance.

Ochdx 09-19-2002 09:36 AM

Originally posted by igo4bmx

i understand that, but how is a woofer to play well if there is a huge cut out for tweetes?

Well, it plays fine now... I guess a woofer without a cutout could play even better, but I'm very satisfied with current quality.

Originally posted by igo4bmx

cliff note: buy a set of comps like will said

Well, tweets can be had for $50 and comp systems start at $200 :)