Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Viper 791/771xv(alarm) Review

Old 02-09-2006, 04:28 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 791/771xv(alarm) Review

Hello everyone,

i just got the 791xv installed on my 97 integra and just wanted to do a review from the people that were considering buying it....

Pro:
-awesome alarm system... not super sensitive (exhaust will not set it off)... and i got it for 200shipped (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...&search=791+xv)

-"turbo timer mode" allows car to cool down for set period of time

-passive lock and passive security systems are incredible
-passive lock = 30 seconds after the car is started w/ keys in ignition... the doors will automatically lock (similar to newer cars)
-passive arm = 30 seconds after all the doors are closed and car is shut off... car will automatically arm just in case you forget to set or you are busy

-programming and valet switch very easy to understand and makes programming additional things (passive/active arming/locking) very simple to do even if the installer did not program the style that you would prefer.

-a quick glance through the book will give you the options to program and alter several things about the alarm

-has a default alternator cutoff (30 seconds after car is armed... starter will not work, until disarmed/key in ignition

thats about all i can think of as far as PRO's ... there is plenty more... i just haven't figured it out yet...

CONS:
-annoying beep from remote (can be changed but i haven't figured out how to yet)

-very difficult to install... so even with extensive electrical knowledge... generally easier and less of a headache to let installer do for you

-because of the several features... one button or combination on the remote can enable/disable things that you did not plan to enable/disable... makes difficult to carry around in tight pocket/purse

so far it has done everything i want and more

any questions/comments/concerns post here or PM me ...

-ryan
Old 02-09-2006, 06:33 PM
b00gers

Thats awesome. What was the hardest part of the install?
Old 02-10-2006, 03:07 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

didn't personally install it... but i have before on other cars when working at BB... hardest or at least most annoying was the dome light relays and the window switches... it's all not too difficult but those both require lots of wires to be run in very small spaces
Old 02-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

The range is kind of puny too, I noticed. I like mine overall, though.

If you want to disable the beeping, hold the P button on the back of the remote until it beeps once and then press the lock button. Then hold the P button down for two seconds, release and it should beep twice. Now it is silent.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:16 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

My car locks and unlocks instantly with the ignition. On-1 second-lock. Off-1 second-unlock. Might not even be that long.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:31 AM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

that is a seperate setting... i like this one... by the time i start driving is usually when the car locks, and then since i use the turbo timer almost every time i park... it makes sure i leave it in nuetral... and when u set the timer for it ... the car unlocks... so all is well
Old 02-11-2006, 01:29 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I use my short run everytime I get out of my car. I always get asked if my car is turbo.

Does anyone else get asked if the remote is cell phone?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:38 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

haha yeah, i've been asked a few times... or told it looks like a cell fone/calculator/computer etc
Old 02-12-2006, 05:20 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

At least it's universal. Not just the dumbasses I know.