Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

How can i get better range on my alarm?

Old 10-05-2002, 06:24 AM
Bass Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LjN_728
ok...but how would i go about extending the antenna? i wish there was somehow i could use an electronic booster of some sort!
the only way to extend an antenna is to use a coax cable and then mount the antenna on the end of the coax. you arent actually extenting the antenna but rather relocating it. if you extend or shorten the antenna it wont be tuned for the frequencies it is supposed to be receiving.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:30 PM
OneToughCivic

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
the only way to extend an antenna is to use a coax cable and then mount the antenna on the end of the coax. you arent actually extenting the antenna but rather relocating it. if you extend or shorten the antenna it wont be tuned for the frequencies it is supposed to be receiving.
alarm antennas are not coax. it's either a single wire, or two wires going to a flexible "whip" antenna that mounts on the inside glass.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:30 AM
Bass Mechanic

Originally posted by OneToughCivic
alarm antennas are not coax. it's either a single wire, or two wires going to a flexible "whip" antenna that mounts on the inside glass.
i know alarm antennas arent coax. ive installed hundereds of them.
perhaps i should explain it again a little better?
you would have to open the brain up and attach some coaxial cable. some thin coax will work. remove the antenna by unsoldering it. then resolder in the coax and ground the shield side of the coax. then on the other end of the coax solder on the antenna you removed from the brain.

if you have the type like the whip and 2 wires you wont need to extent it because it is designed to be mounted up high already.
when you use this type of antenna the part where it leaves the brain and has 2 wires next to each other works the same way as coax. the antenna is not actually an antenna until it gets bast the coax or the 2 wires split into 2. before the actual antenna it is sheilded either by the 2 wires or the coax.