Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   Jl... Help (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/22043-jl-help.html)

seth90dx 09-14-2002 10:02 PM

Jl... Help

Ive got $3000 into JL and im not done yet!!! Ive got 2 JL 12W3V2's a 500/1 monoblock JL amp to power those! Ive got the JL XR-650-CSI component kit---(6.5 inch woofers and 1 inch tweets)--- and ive got a pair of JL 6X8 inch mids for the back coming this friday... Ive got a JL 300/4 amp to power those!!!

I took the amp and hooked it up to a battery in my room with the subs... They started clipping at about a third volume? WTF... so i checked the wireing on the subs... They were fine! So Im like WTF? but at 1/3 volume they were nockin pretty hard---(my walls were ratlin)--- And they sounded soooooo clean. Im not sure but i think the battery i was usin was not powerfull enough or somethin? It was a big ass diehard! I think once i get it all in my 90DX hatch it will sound crazy!!! but thats not gona happen for a few weeks(2)..... Q: does JL make POWER CAPS? another question for a noledgeable audio nut is about the clipping factor.... i just bought a $500 sony CDX-MP70 deck (what I was runnin the subs on) is the volume level givin max boost to the speakers at 1/3? Is the power level from the 300/4 gona be too much for the 6.5's, tweets and 6X8's ? Sorry bout the book...ive just spent alot and i want it to work right!
:confused: :fawk:

b00gers 09-14-2002 10:15 PM

yes you spent A LOT. did you pay MSRP man?

how did you mess with the settings on the amp....i bet your gains are turned up too high and not with the output of the deck. check that first.

seth90dx 09-14-2002 11:48 PM

Ya I looked at all that... and I turned down the bass on the amp, Still the clipping occurs!!! So what els do you think could be the problem?.... Also im putin this in my hatch, so there is no ****ing way that little battery is gona power all this ****! Im thinkin run a deep cycle batery (in the back) paralel to the one in the front and get a 1.0 feride power capasitor (CAP) for the 500/1 and a 0.5 capasitor for the 300/4... whataya think? do I still need an alternator upgrade?

b00gers 09-15-2002 09:19 AM

since you have no problem with spending money, upgrade your alternator.

what do you mean you turned down the bass from the amp? what was the switch called that you turned down?

and also ive notice that subs sound really different inside of a room and inside of a car. that may be the thing. i have a sedan, when i had my w3s they sound sweet with the trunk closed, but when turned up and my trunk lid open, they sounded like they wanted to clip.

seth90dx 09-15-2002 11:42 AM

Well i found out what the problem with the cliping was.... I had the ground hooked up to the - on the battery :( DOH!!! ass for the bass, there is a little nob on the back of the amp called BASS...
So I talked to the installer at good guys, thats how I figured out what I was doin wrong :) This isnt gona work till I get it in my hatch... Thanks for your input, man.

b00gers 09-15-2002 11:55 AM

?

you had the ground off your amp hooked onto the battery's ground??

i dont get the problem, but glad you fixed it.

seth90dx 09-15-2002 12:42 PM

Ya lol... the ground from the amp and battery is soposed to be hooked up to the car chasis... this acts as a FAT ass wire! there is no way I can simulate that in my room... AKA my car wont fit.

SiClone 09-15-2002 08:54 PM

I would suggest that you be careful and not screw up your nice JL stuff before they even go in your car....

An alternator upgrade would be better than adding a 2nd battery. The 2nd battery will only help you if you plan on playing your system with the engine off for lond periods.

As for caps, JL does not make any. If you get a better alternator, you may not need any farad caps at all, but if you do want one (for show purposes), a 1 farad cap on the 500/1 will be fine. It's not necessary for the 300/4.

Lastly, $3000 for everything you listed above, including the deck seems like a lot. MSRP is my guess... :rolleyes:

seth90dx 09-15-2002 09:07 PM

Well Ya... But i got the hook up! I actualy spent $2715 with 5 year warinty on it all! so its not that bad... Pluss if the line of amps or speakers gets discontinued I get the newer stuff :)
NO BS good guys rock... I already upgraded the w3-d4's to w3v2-d4's for 65 bucks :) and thats just to renew my warinty!

atlxchink 09-15-2002 11:08 PM

Originally posted by seth90dx
Well Ya... But i got the hook up! I actualy spent $2715 with 5 year warinty on it all! so its not that bad... Pluss if the line of amps or speakers gets discontinued I get the newer stuff :)
NO BS good guys rock... I already upgraded the w3-d4's to w3v2-d4's for 65 bucks :) and thats just to renew my warinty!

sorry to break it to you, but the amps will not be replaced. the speakers MIGHT if they are discontinued when you use the warranty. if they told you that, you should go back and talk to a manager. amps will be sent out for service.
SAM