Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   extra dome lights in cabin, wiring problems? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/21928-extra-dome-lights-in-cabin-wiring-problems.html)

Hoist 09-13-2002 11:34 PM

extra dome lights in cabin, wiring problems?

Hey guys --
I just installed a new extra dome light in the back of my ride. I have 2 12v10w bulbs, which are powered and grounded directly from the battery. Inline, about 18 inches from the battery is a 3A fuse, and down the line there is a switch inside the cabin. The switch is a cheapo Kragen one, not marked, but only has two slots (for + and - I assume). When I finally got it working, The light is great just chilling, but when I flip the switch to off, it shorts out the fuse, every time. I went through 5 3A fuses, trying things such as reversing the polarity on the switch and such. I even tried a 10A fuse, still shorted out! I don't know what the problem would be? Why would it be fine when it is on, and short out when switched to the off position? Please help, I dont know where to look next. Thanks
rob

LjN_728 09-14-2002 08:13 AM

hmm...that's a tough one. I really couldn't give u an answer for why it keeps on shorting. The only thing i can say is that maybe the battery's too strong for ur dome light. What did the instructions say regarding hooking up the positive? Actually why didn't u hook it up with the side door lights? that way ur dorm will turn on whenever the doors are open. Best thing i would do if u wanted a switch, is that instead to power it up directly thru the battery, tap the power thru the cig lighter or some sort of continous power.

Hoist 09-14-2002 10:25 AM

the reason why i didnt run it from the cig lighter or something like that was that I dont know if 20 extra watts would be too much of an extra load. Does anyone know if this is ok?

TealSi 09-21-2002 09:42 PM

domem lights

You must have wired the switch wrong..the two pins are not + or -, but rather they are like a in/out.... you should wire the positive directly from the battery to the fuse holder to the switch then connect the other terminal to the wire going back to the light. then ground the negative of the light to any metal surface..or to the battery.

OneToughCivic 10-02-2002 08:56 PM

Re: domem lights

Originally posted by TealSi
You must have wired the switch wrong..the two pins are not + or -, but rather they are like a in/out.... you should wire the positive directly from the battery to the fuse holder to the switch then connect the other terminal to the wire going back to the light. then ground the negative of the light to any metal surface..or to the battery.
:werd: the switch should just be on the + side... it should interrupt the current when it's open, and pass current when it's closed.

LjN_728 10-03-2002 04:56 PM

damn OneToughCivic, Adrinana Lima, the 2nd model from the left is sooo foine! haha ok...back to the topic. haha

PnX-R 10-05-2002 05:39 PM

Let me see, your fuse blows out when you turn the switch off. Sounds to me like Grounded-short circuit. It seems that by turning off the switch, it some how grounds the power wire blows the fuse. That's the only a fuse will blow.. So yeah, like the other dude said, make sure you're plugging the wires into the right posts..

08SnakeEyes08 10-05-2002 07:51 PM

Originally posted by LjN_728
damn OneToughCivic, Adrinana Lima, the 2nd model from the left is sooo foine! haha ok...back to the topic. haha
OMG U JUST FOUND OUT HER NAME, I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT FOR A WEEK...

yeah man, shes the hottest chick i've ever seen. last week, when i saw her in his profile, i was like god damn, pm him and asked who was she. lol...... all gurls i see now are so ugly...... I LUV HER.....

OneToughCivic 10-05-2002 09:29 PM

Originally posted by 08SnakeEyes08

OMG U JUST FOUND OUT HER NAME, I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT FOR A WEEK...

yeah man, shes the hottest chick i've ever seen. last week, when i saw her in his profile, i was like god damn, pm him and asked who was she. lol...... all gurls i see now are so ugly...... I LUV HER.....

dood, you jacked my sig :nono:

08SnakeEyes08 10-05-2002 10:57 PM

dude its 1/4....

can i use it :).... thx man